THS FR3 mounts

2footpegs

Jan 17, 2009
Hi, im looking at buying the THS engine top mount kit as i already have a THS dogbone mount, i jus wanted to kno how hard is it to change these mounts and whats involved, will i need to support the engine from underneath?. thanks

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Its easy mate, just suport the gear box with a jack, the drivers side one is the worst as you need to strip bits of the top of it to get at the bolts, it took me about an hour and that was with the DBM as well.

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
2footpegs, how did you get on with this? I am seriously considering this set but don't know much about these things. Do you fit from above or below? I assume the engine undertray will need to come off?

Cheers

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Engine undertray only needs to come off if your supporting the block from below with a jack.
If you have an engine hoist no need to remove the undertray, well until you drop a bolt anyway, lol

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Cheers Jon. I know it's a cheek, but do you think that if I get hold of a set that you and your mate might be able to spare an hour to help fit mine (for a fee of course). I really feel that I need these and I could never fit them myself and don't know anyone with a lift.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Dude its a REAL easy job, there are lots of guides on here and you cannot go wrong.
A good taster into working on the more complicated jobs on your car.
No need for a lift, a trolley jack will do the business

J0N

Defected!
My mate is actually a mechanic and runs a small garage in Chesterfield, he'd fit them for you for around £40-£50 but I seriously doubt that it would be this side of Christmas. Don't forget there's a £69 discount fot the full FR3 kit for SCN members.

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Cheers guys. I won't be getting a set this side of Christmas anyway so there's no rush, but it has to go on my list of things that I need to do. As I mentioned to you before Jon, my focus is more on the handling and reliability before I start messing with more power. The wheel hop is already too bad as it is so I think that these are definitely the way to go, and an awesome deal from THS too.

May be being made redundant in March, and I'll get something over £6k for my troubles, so assuming I can find work again quickly enough then a chunk of that will go on the car. I'm almost looking forward to it :D I'm just waiting to get a better idea of what is happening (should know more after a working lunch tonight) before I spend much more.

As for my technical ability; well I like to get someone who knows what they're doing to help the first time I do anything wherever possible. The funny thing is that a lot of things I'll never do again anyway, like changing the + battery harness the other day. How many times will that ever need replacing? Got a mate to make sure I wasn't doing anything stupid anyway. Better to be safe than sorry!

Oh, one other thing... my LCR isn't lowered, but when I took it to have the brakes looked at on Sunday we had to drive it up on to blocks before we could get a jack underneath (not using the points under the covers, no way!) and I don't own a jack like that myself anyway (nowhere to store it, never mind anything else)

JamJay

California Bound
Cheers guys. I won't be getting a set this side of Christmas anyway so there's no rush, but it has to go on my list of things that I need to do. As I mentioned to you before Jon, my focus is more on the handling and reliability before I start messing with more power. The wheel hop is already too bad as it is so I think that these are definitely the way to go, and an awesome deal from THS too.

May be being made redundant in March, and I'll get something over £6k for my troubles, so assuming I can find work again quickly enough then a chunk of that will go on the car. I'm almost looking forward to it :D I'm just waiting to get a better idea of what is happening (should know more after a working lunch tonight) before I spend much more.

As for my technical ability; well I like to get someone who knows what they're doing to help the first time I do anything wherever possible. The funny thing is that a lot of things I'll never do again anyway, like changing the + battery harness the other day. How many times will that ever need replacing? Got a mate to make sure I wasn't doing anything stupid anyway. Better to be safe than sorry!

Oh, one other thing... my LCR isn't lowered, but when I took it to have the brakes looked at on Sunday we had to drive it up on to blocks before we could get a jack underneath (not using the points under the covers, no way!) and I don't own a jack like that myself anyway (nowhere to store it, never mind anything else)

I have a real pig og a job getting my LCR on the ramp and that's on OE suspension too. The leg of the ramp will just not get under unless I jack the back up on one side, slide the ramp leg under and drop the car down, it's usually high enough at the back the to slide the rear leg under...then repeat for the other side.

Me and my friend have no idea what we're doing with our cars most of the time, what takes skilled people 10mins, takes us 2hrs to figure out the best way not to bust things. It's goo fun though and we never work on our cars without each other, moral support goes a long way.

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Agreed :D I'm getting used to it and not being half as nervous as I used to be. I don't know why I'm so concerned; I used to strip carbs and rebuild them for my dad years ago, but when it's mine I get weary and I prefer to get support. My mate has been really helpful and endured all sorts already, but he doesn't have all of the equipment that is needed for some jobs

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
If your having problems with getting the trolly jack under your car the best thing to do is find a piece of wood about 2x2 would do it and drive one of the wheels onto it and hay-presto the jack will fit, i use a small bit of kitchen work surface which i keep in the boot.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.