Ticking behind the dashboard

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
My car's at the dealer tomorrow to look at, amongst a few other things, a strange occasional ticking from the dash that I've narrowed down to the climate control mechanism (ie the bits that control the flow of the air). However this evening, I experienced a whole new regular ticking sound, that has nothing (as far as I can tell) to do with the climate control or fans.

I had pulled up outside a shop while my friend jumped out for a few moments. I turned the engine off, but turned the ignition back on. I suddenly became aware of a ticking coming from what sounds like behind the glovebox. It was a regular tick, about four times a second, and disappeared when I turned the ignition off, but returned as soon as I turned the ignition back on again. I eliminated the climate control by turning that off completely - in fact I turned everything off I could other than the ignition, but the regular ticking remained.

Started the car up and continued to my destination, and tried to recreate the problem when I arrived, but it wasn't doing it this time...

Weird...?

toNes

Jun 26, 2007
London
I had a similar problem to you on my old Mk 2 Sport TDi, a ticking noise coming from the engine when it was warm......

I narrowed it down to it possibly being the turbo, but in the end I part-ex the car for a FR TDi..... :p

Have you brought it into a seat garage yet? There's been quite a few bulletins released to the garages about engine noise, they might be able to sort it out for you.

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
Well my trip to the dealership was all academic anyway. I turned up with it this morning and they wouldn't let me have a courtesy car without showing them my driving license - despite not telling me that I needed to bring it, and in fact giving me a courtesy car about 3 months ago without needing to show my license. But they wouldn't budge on the issue so I've had to rebook it for next week.

Tits.

The King

Just turn your mirrors warm-up off. (away from center position, to L on R position)
The automatic switch turns periodically on/off and makes a ticking sound, if mirrors are warmed up to maximum.

rageuk

Jun 30, 2007
West Yorkshire
I know the sound you mean my 1.9 makes the same noise to be honest my local dealers are idiots and I just feel I get told anything so they don't have to fix anything

Thudd

Mine has started to do this - sort of a rhythmic knocking noise now and again. Does it when you just turn the ignition on and don't start up. I'd assumed it was immobiliser or fuel pump priming or something.
Does it occasionally in traffic as well now tho. Usually when I lift off a part throttle.

I can guarantee that I'd be unable to replicate in front of the dealer tho :confused:

leon1p

XBL - dervturbo
Jun 30, 2006
Aberdeen
www.simplyrc.com
Mine ticks when i park and idle for a while.. sounds like a relay clicking, but as far as I can tell it's nothing consistent. I just assumed it was the canbus system doing some work in the background like egr cleaning or something. Never notice it when i'm driving. I'm sure if i just parked with the engine running it would do it.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise