Toledo v5 timing chain Problem

Grantski

I have a 2000 Toledo v5 (150bhp). Couple of weeks ago I started the engine up and it sounded terrible - as if it was badly miss-firing. I took it to my local garage who eventually told me it was probably the timing chain slipping and that it was very slack. They also said it would be more than the car is worth to fix as they thought it would need an engine lift to get to it. The garage I went to however admitted they know little about V5s. Has anyone come across this problem? If it is the chain tensioner can it be fairly easily repaired and is it a huge expensive job?

Last edited by a moderator:

djscouse

don't mean to scare you mate but i've just had a quote from bedrock veedubs in motherwell to replace my chain ther saying its gonna cost £700+ cos u have to take the box out and drop the sump etc....

2003v5

Does anybody know if the chain needs tightening or does it just need replacing at a certain time? I know it doesnt need replacing like a cam belt but should it be done anyway?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Nope, inspection only at 125k. No replacement interval is specified, and it's automatically tensioned as far as I know.

The only thing that is essential for timing chain based cars is regular oil changes with decent oil.

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
don't mean to scare you mate but i've just had a quote from bedrock veedubs in motherwell to replace my chain ther saying its gonna cost £700+ cos u have to take the box out and drop the sump etc....

If you have cam / crank correlation fault codes (17748 / 17755) be aware that replacing the chains and tensioners doesn't always fix the fault on 20V AQN engines!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.