Toledo V5 to 1.8T

crazymo

Mar 7, 2016
Hi All,

I am crazymo and have only joined the site today but have seen your site many times before. Sorry in advance to all of you who might be put to sleep by another thread about a v5 to 1.8t conversion but hopefully once you get further down you might notice and hopefully agree that this one might actually get completed and might be worth a comment.

I started out with a 2001 Leon Cupra, had it Revo'd to stage 1 and it was a bit of fun, then on Christmas day of all days back in 2012 a Range Rover met with the rear end of it and wiped it out! I buried the car at the bottom of the garden for a while and there she stayed until the insurance paid out. Pulled it straight and got though a vic test but took it off the road and broke it up 12 months as it wasn't straight and I didn't want to sell it on like it was! I went out and bought myself a tolly v5 as a daily driver on a T reg with 120,000 miles on it and after a while I started to have dirty thoughts re the left over Cupra and my Tolly.

Anyway I have now found myself with a 2.3 V5 Toledo with, cupra R shocks, cupra springs, cupra 312 fronts brakes, new clutch at 165,000 and a fresh MOT that I can’t sell ((even for £400) must be something to do with the 184,000 miles it has covered) and a garage with most of a MKI Leon Cupra stored in it. When I say most I mean, a complete engine, gearbox, drive shafts, heat shields, ecu (revo stage 1), 2 keys, comfort pack, airbag module, door locks, steering column with barrel, engine loom, car loom basically just about all you need to do the a conversion minus the body of the car plus I also have a new stainless Milltek for the 1.8t, a bar plate FMIC and a Forge dump valve to add to the mix.

The mechanical side it not too much of an issue as both cars can take the 1.8t and I have hubs from the cupra and the 312 fronts are already installed. The area I need some help with and I am hoping the vast knowledge of the SCN forum will be able to assist me with is the wiring!!! I have the looms but man I hate wiring! lol

Those of you in the know will be aware that the v5 has much better spec on it than the 1.8t Toledo and I would like to keep as much as possible, so that’s the memory seats, the cruise control, the rear interior lights and probably some other bits I am not aware of yet!

So here goes, anyone out there who has knowledge of converting a v5 to a 1.8t and what to look out for? As far as I know I have everything I need apart from whatever snaps when taking it apart but are there any things to look out for?

Does anyone know from what I have said and the parts I have, can I drop the engine and loom in with all the bits to make it run, swap the clocks, ecu, airbag module and comfort pack – will the 1.8t loom simply plug in and work?

Will I need to chop any wires or add anything to make it run?

Thanks for taking the time to read this as hopefully I am now another day closer to the completed conversion.

Cheers

Crazymo