Too many miles?

20vturbocupra

Mar 25, 2012
Hy guys im look at an 02 ibiza cupra and i love it, its perfect and cheap thats because it has 138k miles on it im a mechanic and know that this isn't MASSIVE mileage but it kinda worries me and i don't know why it must be a mental thing! he says it has full service history up to 97k
miles then he serviced it after that every 5-10k miles and timing belt done at 87k miles this puts me off as how do i know he serviced it?! or am i just panicking over nothing? cheers!

OrcaGti

Jul 8, 2007
Inverness
Well mate it depends on how much your wanting to spend what you get for the money. How much is he asking for? Iv spent the last 6 months searching for a clean standard one an finally got there in the end an got it for under two grand with 68K on the clock. full service history and ALL reciepts aswel all old tax disks etc, Everything lol!! its worth while searching for a good one, i think iv showen there are still some left!!

Mar 19, 2010
derbyshire
mines done 137,500 miles now just changed the original clutch yesterday!!!, as long as the oil and filter are changed regularly with decent oil I can't see why 180,000+ isnt possible. The way I see it is, if you look after your car it looks after you. just check for smoke on start up and when it's on boost

OrcaGti

Jul 8, 2007
Inverness
mines done 137,500 miles now just changed the original clutch yesterday!!!, as long as the oil and filter are changed regularly with decent oil I can't see why 180,000+ isnt possible. The way I see it is, if you look after your car it looks after you. just check for smoke on start up and when it's on boost

Totally agree, if you look after it, it looks after you. Wasnt meaning to come accross arsy there was just saying that there is still very clean and affordable examples out there rather than jumping in to quickly!! they are very reliable and Strong cars so they will run on forever if they are looked after.

20vturbocupra

Mar 25, 2012
Well cheers for your quick replies guys! hes wanting 1550 but could maybe get for 1350 its mint and only 200 miles away from me and imperial blue id prefer black but love the blue!, yeah the longer i look for a decent one the more money ill save aswell so good point! id rather have a standard one with low miles either 51 plate or 02 as theres less risk of being ragged by someone that wouldnt appreciate a turboed engine, yeah i know vag engines are strong as nails! we have a 1.8 20v N/A come into our work with 160k and it still runs and goes well like you say aslong as it has been treated well and serviced at the correct intervals im onto a winner but this guy has no proof of the last 40k miles which is worrying plus the less miles i get now the less there will be when it comes to sell (IF it comes that time hehe) im obsessed with these cars and it will be my first forced indution engine and i cannot wait to modify it and work on it!!!!

OrcaGti

Jul 8, 2007
Inverness
lol there fantastic cars mate, i have only had mine for 2 weeks since the mk2 and im already looking at my bank account considering if i can afford to shell more money on parts :lol:

I think if your keen go an have a look have a test drive etc check all the essentals an make a decision, no point deciding now without trying the car first, i finally had to travel 411miles to get the right one, 822 mile round trip but totally worth it.

No better judgement than your own when you meet the owner an see the car, then you can make the decsion. Just dont let your heart take control of your head as i know how esay it is just to buy a car as you love them.

20vturbocupra

Mar 25, 2012
Yes i fully understand and unfortunately i live on an island so no oppertunity to test drive or be in one hehe although i have driven a golf gti and it goes ok =] being alot heavier than the biza aswell yeah guess ill just have to wait and see hehe see whats round the corner and keep looking cant wait to get one and live the tuneability of the 20v turbo!!!

20vturbocupra

Mar 25, 2012
Exactly! and not cheap at £58 return journey! the one im looking at is up in aberdeen aswell so thats will be a 400 mile round trip lol guess ill just keep searching!! and saving! lol

OrcaGti

Jul 8, 2007
Inverness
Yeah you'll get a better one if you keep looking and if your asking about it your already having your doubts :p just personal opinion tho mate.

Do a search on here for what to look for when buying them an have a look in the forsale section.

The guys on here are SUPER helpful an friendly!!

20vturbocupra

Mar 25, 2012
Yeah you'll get a better one if you keep looking and if your asking about it your already having your doubts :p just personal opinion tho mate.

Do a search on here for what to look for when buying them an have a look in the forsale section.

The guys on here are SUPER helpful an friendly!!

yes you are sooo right lol when i know the right one ill know! hehe i can't wait to get on got so many plans im thinking k04 or bigger with front exit external wastegate and screamer just poking out beside the exhaust hehe! don't know how loud that would be though all the exhausts i see are too quiet for me! i owned a b18c with skunk2 megapower so i need loudness in my life lol! yeah friendly! i have found this out already!!! cheers again dudes!

OrcaGti

Jul 8, 2007
Inverness
Cool Mate, Start a RR if you get one, just having a look just now see if there is anything for sale thats close to you that may be worth a look :lol: Nout on tv anyways!!

20vturbocupra

Mar 25, 2012
i was thinking that but high mileage is more stone chips and rust spots also ill probs leave it around 250 break for a while anyway to save for uprated bits what uprated parts would u recomend for around 350bhp ??? strength wise anyway like forged rods and pistons??? rings? head gasket??? i just dont know lol