Trim, specifications and vaulation..

skyrocketeer

Asphalt pilot
Feb 1, 2016
Newport S.Wales
Hi all,
Sadly my wifes little Ibiza got punted on a roundabout the other day and the insurance are wanting to write it off. Nobody was hurt and the accident was as undramatic as you can imagine, however we how have an Ibiza with a smashed back bumper and bent tailgate. The assessor didn't even visit, but looked at the photo's and went straight to total loss team :(

We are now negotiating with the insurers who are helpful, but struggling to find an equivalent car for accurate market comparisons (the initial offer was £3900).

The car is a 61 plate 5 door with the following:
1.2tsi
5 spd manual
ESP
TPMS
Front fogs with cornering function.
twin halogen lights
Electric front and rear windows
AC (not climate)
cruise control
CD player
fabric seats.
Wheels are 15" 10 spoke alloy - no spare
It's badged ecomotive on the boot, and tsi under the side repeaters.

Parkers says it's an SE :unsure: and there's none with that spec on autotrader at the moment for a like for like comparison

Given it's got about 80K miles on it, what would be a reasonable payout to aim for? Any suggestions as to how I could work the system to my advantage?

Anyone got a tidy one for sale (for about £3900 :cry:)

CW92

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2021
Have you tried clicking on the selling page on auto trader and inputting your reg and mileage to see their “Guide price”?

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Or buy it back from them and get it repaired 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe end up with some cash for a holiday after all that

skyrocketeer

Asphalt pilot
Feb 1, 2016
Newport S.Wales
Have you tried clicking on the selling page on auto trader and inputting your reg and mileage to see their “Guide price”?
Autotrader reckons it's a Sportrider (by reg plate) however they never came with rear electric windows, but did have Climate control (according to Parkers)

The whole thing is a bit of a tangle, thus my question to the hive mind here..

skyrocketeer

Asphalt pilot
Feb 1, 2016
Newport S.Wales
Or buy it back from them and get it repaired 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe end up with some cash for a holiday after all that
We did consider this, however one issue is that it'll be flagged an insurance write off, which will then (ironically) increase the cost of insuring it. My wife is also a little nervous about carrying the kids around in a car which may have been structurally compromised at some point.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
If it's a Cat N - which means cosmetic damage only, no structural involvement - it may not be more expensive to insure. And I'm not sure, but will it be flagged? My thinking is that will only officially happen if you take the insurance payout. Anyway £4k for an 11 year old car seems pretty good, you'll only get book (Glasses Guide, or trade in) value, not the cost of buying an equivalent replacement.

Reactions: skyrocketeer

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I dont think it effects insurance premiums at all

Had a couple of old cat d cars and they were no more expensive to insure

Reactions: skyrocketeer

skyrocketeer

Asphalt pilot
Feb 1, 2016
Newport S.Wales
Thanks all - we have accepted the offer of £4400 - knowing it's not going to get any better.
I'm seeing this as an opportunity to move to a slightly bigger car, as for the same money as the Ibiza we want (there's one on the market now it seems) there's an armload of Leons with same or better spec..

Reactions: CW92

skyrocketeer

Asphalt pilot
Feb 1, 2016
Newport S.Wales
Hi.
Just to let you know that the majority of our insurance schemes have no issues with insuring previously written off vehicles.
Regards,
Dan.
Thanks Dan, I'll bear that in mind for the future, however we have committed to the payout now.

If anyone is after a low mileage 1.2 Ibiza with full electrics (front and rear), and a smashed in rear end (oo-er!) - Copart will be taking possession of our faithful friend on Tuesday.. :cry:

Reactions: DAN@ADRIAN FLUX