TSI 4Drive Petrol 190 variant

VocalHusky

Apr 28, 2021
Hello everyone!

I'm new to both Cupra and these forums so please go easy on me :D
I picked up my little toy today - a V1 TSI 4Drive Petrol 190 in magnetic tech paint and standard silver rims (my country's config differs a bit from the UK one). I promise to post some pics soon as I just made it home today and it's night already.
I was wondering if anyone else has this particular model to exchange some thoughts?

I love the car after the first few hundred miles but a couple of things trouble me:
1. In general, did your cars come with some mileage? Mine had around 30 miles registered, with an average speed of 8 MPH. The dealer swore he only took it for a wash today before my pickup (it had arrived last Friday but i couldn't pick it up sooner) and that "those miles came from the factory" (this 190 HP variant of the car is one of the very first in my country so a bit uncommon, as people go for either the top or bottom engine variants). I saw in some YT manufacturing vids that the engines are factory tested, but to this mileage extent? What do you guys think?
2. I had also studied the engine and I was under the impression that it was a double cycle one, having both the TSI injectors and a secondary, direct injection system. To my surprise when I took off the engine cover, mine didn't have the direct injection. Here's a pic with a Skoda engine next to my Formentor engine.

engines.png

The dealer couldn't tell me squat about technicalities, like engine type, timing (belt or chain) or DSG variant (dry vs wet clutches). My expectations are timing chain and DQ 381 wet clutch DSG but don't know when or how I can confirm them.

Anyway, that's about it so far. Driving the car (even in slow-mode, till about 3k miles) was a blast. Gonna take a good rest then start studying a bit more about the car tomorrow.

Cheers!

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
I had about the same amount of miles on my car.

Interesting questions, I don't have answers for you but I will read when others who are more knowledgeable report.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Hello everyone!

I'm new to both Cupra and these forums so please go easy on me :D
I picked up my little toy today - a V1 TSI 4Drive Petrol 190 in magnetic tech paint and standard silver rims (my country's config differs a bit from the UK one). I promise to post some pics soon as I just made it home today and it's night already.
I was wondering if anyone else has this particular model to exchange some thoughts?

I love the car after the first few hundred miles but a couple of things trouble me:
1. In general, did your cars come with some mileage? Mine had around 30 miles registered, with an average speed of 8 MPH. The dealer swore he only took it for a wash today before my pickup (it had arrived last Friday but i couldn't pick it up sooner) and that "those miles came from the factory" (this 190 HP variant of the car is one of the very first in my country so a bit uncommon, as people go for either the top or bottom engine variants). I saw in some YT manufacturing vids that the engines are factory tested, but to this mileage extent? What do you guys think?
2. I had also studied the engine and I was under the impression that it was a double cycle one, having both the TSI injectors and a secondary, direct injection system. To my surprise when I took off the engine cover, mine didn't have the direct injection. Here's a pic with a Skoda engine next to my Formentor engine.

View attachment 24117

The dealer couldn't tell me squat about technicalities, like engine type, timing (belt or chain) or DSG variant (dry vs wet clutches). My expectations are timing chain and DQ 381 wet clutch DSG but don't know when or how I can confirm them.

Anyway, that's about it so far. Driving the car (even in slow-mode, till about 3k miles) was a blast. Gonna take a good rest then start studying a bit more about the car tomorrow.

Cheers!
Welcome mate.
It is common for mileage to be on cars, they drive from factory to transporter, then to port (if required) then to dealer. Up to 30 miles isn't an issue IMO. Regarding the injection system. VAG engines changed from dual injection to single injection a couple of years ago, think it was to do with the new emission regulations. It's a shame they have done that s the dual injection kept the bores cleaner and it was more efficient. There is talk on other forums with owners concerned the engines will coke up easier.

VocalHusky

Apr 28, 2021
Thanks for the reply @jcbmally!

I don't have a problem living with those miles as the car seems to perform nicely. Didn't expect it to have 0 miles but 30 seemed a bit much for transport purposes. Oh well :)
Regarding the engine, yes, that is my main concern too - the lack of cleaning via the direct injectors. I'll keep an eye on that, as well as other stuff like Haldex and DSG servicing which the dealer said are "for life" and I highly doubt it.

Reactions: jcbmally

VocalHusky

Apr 28, 2021
@JonnyT that sounds more reasonable :) I'll try to find out more about what a reasonable mileage range might be, but not from the dealer.

On another note, I said I'd come back with a couple of pics so here they are.
1.jpg
2.jpg

1619721099908.png

No flashy stuff as you can see. Specs differ a bit from country to country but I added some "basic" optional to the base trim: heated seats/wheel, rear camera, Side, Exit, Travel, Emergency and park assists

Took it for a spin today with the family and now its wife approved too :D. Only remaining tester is the dog but she'll have to wait for a proper boot liner
With regard to the engine, according to a knowledgeable and helpful mate it's an EA888 gen 4 (evo4) with particle filter. Curious how it will handle the supposed carbon buildup due to lack of the gen 3B multipoint injection
No info on the gearbox yet - I'll need to find a tester for that as my OBD2 wireless dongle and app are kind of useless in this regard.

Plans for the future
- New rims for the summer tires (these ones will take the winter tires)
- maybe electric tailgate retrofit - I saw it's back as an option on non VZ models... too bad it wasn't when I ordered mine. Only option I found right now though is triple the price of the factory fitted one so I'll pass for now
- 3000 km oil + oil filter change (can't do it any harm, even if the dealer says it's not necessary)
- 15000 km Haldex oil change and filter cleaning (again, no info on this from dealer but I found these figures on another forum)
- 60000 km DSG oil change (?) again, zero info from the dealer on this

Apr 29, 2021
This engine has direct injection I'm 100% sure. On the carbon build up you just need to do the proper maintenance and you're good. Iirc at about 100k kms you should perform a valve cleaning etc. I'm also reasonably sure that this is performed at a set interval per the service schedule of the car.

VocalHusky

Apr 28, 2021
A little update
- Managed to confirm the gearbox - it's a DQ381 with wet clutches, so I'm happy
- I would theorize that Wireless Android Auto AND Apple CarPlay work only on NAVI equipped cars, based on various discussions on local, German and this forum. I have, umm, checked :D my car and both connectivity options are set to USB_Only. No word yet from my dealer on this topic and no valid DYI options yet due to the new SFD security layer in new MQB Evo platform cars.

Other than that, wasn't brave enough to fiddle with the fuse box connectivity for the dashcam but routed the cable to the armrest 12V quite nicely. Next up: roof bars

VocalHusky

Apr 28, 2021
Today I noticed a gurgling/dripping sound on the rear-right side of the car, after a short drive. Eventually I concluded it's something related to the gas tank as i don't think there are other liquids in the area. Tank was 1/3 full and once i opened the cap the gurgling stopped.

Anyone else experienced something similar? I don't suppose it's a "normal behavior"

CupraPoopra

Mar 15, 2021
There are some decent lease deals in the UK for this variant. Saw one last night for the 190 V2 4wd DSG that is cheaper than I’ll be paying for my 1.5.

If I didn’t need a car immediately I’d have changed my order to that.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise