Turbo issues on 1.6 tdi??

Kyle_mac

Dec 25, 2016
Hi, new to this forum thought I'd register to see if anyone else has the same problem I'm having with my 2013 1.6tdi Leon... Was driving yesterday doing about 40/50 mph then all of a sudden a loud vacuum noise started coming from the engine and loss of power.... The noise it's making is like a blocked vacuum when i Rev the car to around 3,000rpm the engine management light comes on and gives a code p0299 turbo underboost... Also if I drive it and do round about 60 the noise isn't as loud and the coil light starts to flash. Was told it could be a boost pipe leak or a actuator? Anyone else has this problem? Cars only done 55,954 miles so wouldn't think a turbo would of went that soon there's no smoke or oil leaking anywhere.

Last edited:

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Hi, new to this forum thought I'd register to see if anyone else has the same problem I'm having with my 2013 1.6tdi Leon... Was driving yesterday doing about 40/50 mph then all of a sudden a loud vacuum noise started coming from the engine and loss of power.... The noise it's making is like a blocked vacuum when i Rev the car to around 30,000rpm the engine management light comes on and gives a code p0299 turbo underboost... Also if I drive it and do round about 60 the noise isn't as loud and the coil light starts to flash. Was told it could be a boost pipe leak or a actuator? Anyone else has this problem? Cars only done 55,954 miles so wouldn't think a turbo would of went that soon there's no smoke or oil leaking anywhere.

The noise your hearing when you rev it to 30,000 rpm, that's probably the con rods coming out the front of the engine block ;) :D

I'd look for a pipe leak first as someone else suggested, I had similar although not on a seat, caused symptoms like you described :)

Kyle_mac

Dec 25, 2016
The noise your hearing when you rev it to 3,000 rpm, that's probably the con rods coming out the front of the engine block ;) :D

I'd look for a pipe leak first as someone else suggested, I had similar although not on a seat, caused symptoms like you described :)

It's a werid sound, soon as I turn it on it has that vacuum sound but once I'm on a carriage way and go past 30,000 Rpms the sound isn't as bad though a flashing coil light appears. Anyone I've brought the car too have said they've never heard a car sound like it before lol

Last edited:

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
Ok I have to say something. If your car is revving at 30,000 rpm then all you would need is wings and you'd take off. Maybe you mean 3000

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Ok I have to say something. If your car is revving at 30,000 rpm then all you would need is wings and you'd take off. Maybe you mean 3000

Maybe it really does, maybe it's magic, it is Christmas after all
Afraid I can't offer anymore technical advice,as I'm not too up on miracles, Christmas or otherwise , so I'll just say welcome to the forum Mr S Claus and leave it at that ;):D

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Have you scanned it for fault codes? Post a vid of the noise on youtube and then post a link here.

Last edited:

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
It's a werid sound, soon as I turn it on it has that vacuum sound but once I'm on a carriage way and go past 30,000 Rpms the sound isn't as bad though a flashing coil light appears. Anyone I've brought the car too have said they've never heard a car sound like it before lol

When say vacuum sound, so you mean a sound like a vacuum cleaner that's say sucked up a black bin bag ?, or a vacuum sound like something is sucking in air ?

Kyle_mac

Dec 25, 2016
/youtu.be/Sp64c0UKdTw link there had to cut a bit off link as it says I need 15 posts to put urls in

Kyle_mac

Dec 25, 2016
When say vacuum sound, so you mean a sound like a vacuum cleaner that's say sucked up a black bin bag ?, or a vacuum sound like something is sucking in sounds like somethings stuck or closed and it's not getting enough air. I've a link below matey

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK

Couldn't help myself to post, 30,000 rpm on a diesel car? A Leon from the future? I think someone maybe have seen the instrument panel and it shows 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, hence 30,000. The only thing I own that revs higher than 30,000 rpm is my Dyson vacumn. I think it revs at 80,000-110,000 rpm :lol:

Kyle_mac

Dec 25, 2016
Haha! My bad, edited lol anyways found out the turbo had gone, Dpd light came on a few days after though seat dealer repairing it under warranty thankfully lol