Turbo manifolds

brad1

Hi there
I have this turbo pictured below :)

hybrid2.jpg

And this is the question, see the manifold on the turbo i have above, i basically want to swap it with the manifold on the turbo below, so the turbo will go back on my car, as the manifold on the turbo below is the wrong one for my car, as i can get the turbo below very cheap and has only done 500 miles, same trubo, GT1749VA just a different manifold side, so put my exhaust manifold side on the turbo below and use it like that, will it fit fine??

pd140.jpg

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
So brad, you can get hold of a cheap pd105/140 turbo but want to know if it'll fit onto the standard tdi manifold and onto your engine? From previous experience of stripping these the main difference is the vane set up, very little else is different in fact the only reason the 2 above are different is because the exhaust mounts with a large circular clip on the later generation pd engine (mk2 leon for example) than with 3 studs and nuts as on yours BUT usually the only certain way of telling is to crack them both open and give it a try. If the vanes look the same then it should be ok.

brad1

So brad, you can get hold of a cheap pd105/140 turbo but want to know if it'll fit onto the standard tdi manifold and onto your engine? From previous experience of stripping these the main difference is the vane set up, very little else is different in fact the only reason the 2 above are different is because the exhaust mounts with a large circular clip on the later generation pd engine (mk2 leon for example) than with 3 studs and nuts as on yours BUT usually the only certain way of telling is to crack them both open and give it a try. If the vanes look the same then it should be ok.

It needs to be a GT1749VA pd140/130 turbo, unless a very good condition pd150 garrett turbo comes up, basically it starts to overboost silly after a good 20mins rag and finally whacks it into limp mode. Its a turbo issue as all the solenoids have been changed etc, and might aswell put a near enough new replacement turbo on :)

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Its a bit of a pain finding matching turbos to be honest mate, most will look identical from the outside but have larger/smaller innards. The pd 140s are common as muck, especially the garret ones but thats because they are weak and often fail. Will you be having it modified?

brad1

Its a bit of a pain finding matching turbos to be honest mate, most will look identical from the outside but have larger/smaller innards. The pd 140s are common as muck, especially the garret ones but thats because they are weak and often fail. Will you be having it modified?

I always thought the garrett ones were stronger, but now im :confused: lol. I was just going to do a replacement, but maybe get a cheap 130/150 and hybrid it, unless its near as new, then put it on as it is

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
to be honest mate the only ones that failled were the ones straight from the factory, the garret turbos we are supplied with rarely go wrong. Seat now only supply garret turbos even if the original ones are KKK they supply you a garret regardless.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members