• Evo Magazine are looking for a mint and (and ideally unmodified) Leon Cupra Sub8 to drive and photograph for a feature. Find out more here .
  • Hey Guest👍👎 We're looking for reviews of your local CUPRA or SEAT Dealership - it's quick and easy to do: Leave a review now
Mar 26, 2025
7
0
We’ve just changed the battery on our 2013 Leon and the tyre pressure warning error has come up. Started the car and whilst idling went into the “Car” menu, “tyre” and then pressed “Calibrate” but it then said “function not currently available” or something like that. Will the system just calibrate itself whilst driving or do we need to press that button whilst on the move to clear the error message? Many thanks!
 
There were lots of warning lights so I did the steering wheel trick and they all went apart from the tyre pressure light. How is a member of the public meant to code a new battery?! Most people don’t have a fancy diagnostic tool. If it’s a like for like battery, is it necessary to code it? This is a 2013 car so not sure it has a fancy battery management system on it. The old battery just died without warning!
 
Last edited:
If it is an mk3 Leon it should be coded.
If the spec is the same, ok but you should change the serial no. Then the car will "know" it is a new battery. The BMS system uses it when charging.
 
I think you will need to have driven some distance before you can calibrate the tyre pressures. I usually run the calibration when I am on the motorway though others have less success with that. Make sure your tyres are at the correct pressure!
 
I think you will need to have driven some distance before you can calibrate the tyre pressures. I usually run the calibration when I am on the motorway though others have less success with that. Make sure your tyres are at the correct pressure!
Yes on my 2014 I can't reset the settings whilst driving, it only works when car is stationary

@archwayanimal be aware you can only do this with OBD11 If you have the Pro or Ultimate plan, not looked at Carista recently but i think it will be cheaper if all you are doing is coding in a battery.
 
I think you will need to have driven some distance before you can calibrate the tyre pressures. I usually run the calibration when I am on the motorway though others have less success with that. Make sure your tyres are at the correct pressure!
Yes on my 2014 I can't reset the settings whilst driving, it only works when car is stationary

I also reset the TPMS in my car when it’s stationary. Not sure if the TPMS can be reset while driving; I don’t think I’ve ever tried to do that.

As for tyre pressures, I always check them before driving the car when the tyres are cold using my own mini compressor and tyre pressure gauge. I don’t use the filling station tyre pressure machines as they can be subject to abuse by other users and additionally, they might not be checked that frequently for accuracy.

Checking tyre pressures forms part of my other regular checks (e.g. fluid level checks, inspection of tyres for damage and checking tread depth). I usually do the regular checks during or after my car cleaning routine.
 
I've fitted two new batteries and coded them to the car with OBD11 but my understanding is that if you fit exactly the same type of battery you removed, eventually the car will figure out that it's a new battery and work correctly. OBD11 easily saves you the cost of buying the thing, it's a good investment.
 
I've fitted two new batteries and coded them to the car with OBD11 but my understanding is that if you fit exactly the same type of battery you removed, eventually the car will figure out that it's a new battery and work correctly. OBD11 easily saves you the cost of buying the thing, it's a good investment.
My understanding is if the serial number is not changed then the battery management system won't know you have a new battery but happy to be proved wrong.
 
My understanding is if the serial number is not changed then the battery management system won't know you have a new battery but happy to be proved wrong.
I agree with both, but the difference will be that the battery management system will react and so adapt quicker if the car knows that it has a new battery.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DaveS
Fitting the same type battery doesn't tell the car you have a new battery and it won't necessarily adapt the charging profile accordingly. Might not be the end of the world but recoding a new battery is recommended. I use Carista to do mine.
 
  • Like
Reactions: nd-photo.nl