Tyres

Ashley_ng

Jan 27, 2019
Hi all,

A bit of a stupid question but wanted to double check before i purchase new wheels,

Im looking at splashing the cash on some CupRacer alloys which online says the tyre size should be 225/35/19

I am running the stock 5 spoke wheels on a 2019 cupra, i have Michelin PS4S 235/35/19 tyres on,

Would these tyres fit onto the cupracers with them being 225 wheels? If so, would i have any issues with the speedo etc?

Thanks

Ash

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
225 will give you a slightly thinner wheel and slightly less tyre wall.

Basically meaning a little less grip and if the potholes round your way are as bad as round mine you will feel them more with the smaller walls (and i have found more likely to split the tyre wall if you accidently smack a pothole).

It will also slightly mess with your speedo reading, not by much with that change but bear it in mind. here is a decent calculator to show the difference

I would stick with the 235 personally.

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
I'd also stick with 235 but if you do change (as you probably know) you have to let your insurer know. (They may well not care.)

Ashley_ng

Jan 27, 2019
Thanks for your replies :)

I would let insurer know as its not worth the hassle if i did need to claim,

Im not sure if ive not worded it well but what i want to do if possible is put my 235 tyres onto the 225 wheels so in theory i should still have the same grip etc?

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
No such thing as a 225 wheel - that's a tyre width.
Wheels are measured by diameter and width (both in inches) & offset (ET) in millimetres.

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
You need to check the rim width and the tyre manufacturer spec.

235 really should be on 8 or 8.5 I think, if the rim is narrower then the tyre will be at a slight angle where the bead connects to the rim. It might not seat properly.

Under heavy load this could be dangerous. I wouldn't risk it personally unless the tyre lot say is OK

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Yeah 235 is good for 8" or 8.5" width wheel. Will say 8J or 8.5J. I would assume a 19" aftermarket wheel would be 8/8.5"

Saying that i know Mercedes factory fit 235/35/19 to 7.5J 19" alloys on the Mercedes A Class so it can be done

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I've noticed this as well, ie any wheel rim width will also have a tyre width "window" associated with it normally giving a range/span of 3 tyre widths, many car manufacturers tend to specify the tyre width that "sits" in the middle of that normally 3 widths tyre window, and others sit bang on the edge of that window, Honda tend to sit on the outer edge - which is what has been said wrt M-B.

I'd always feel happier sticking to what the car manufacturer fits at factory and hopefully spec'd for use during homologation, and so be what insurer's are expecting you to fit/replace with on that wheel size.

Reactions: Walone
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.