Upgrading boot light? Tricky to get bulb out of housing?

YorkshirePud

Apr 1, 2017
Merseyside
Morning all! I've recently upgraded the only exterior bulbs on my Leon that were not LED and was pleased with the supplier and quality of the bulbs so i thought i would turn my attention to the weeny rubbish interior boot light. I have seen a very awesome guide on installing a secondary LED strip but that is a bit too much for me. So just wanted to pop a brighter 501 LED bulb into the existing space. The trouble is when i inspected the job i could not for the life of me remove the bulb from the bulb holder housing. I couldn't even get it open or see an obvious way to do it with breaking it. I've managed to remove the bulb holder from the interior trim that was not an issue. But it's how to get into the rectangular "box" that is the issue. Any hints or tips or am i just going to have to get creative with some flat bladed tools? Thanks!

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Is the car pre-face lift?

If so there are clips at either end of the board - directions will be in the owners manual.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I have done this. An LED bulb is an improvement, but they should really have put a bulb holder on both sides of the boot.

This isn't my video, but covers it pretty well:

Reactions: YorkshirePud

YorkshirePud

Apr 1, 2017
Merseyside
Is the car pre-face lift?

If so there are clips at either end of the board - directions will be in the owners manual.
It's a 2014 model, so im guessing its the original mk3 as i have seen some facelifts before then. The manual is pretty vague unfortuntely.

I have done this. An LED bulb is an improvement, but they should really have put a bulb holder on both sides of the boot.

This isn't my video, but covers it pretty well:

Ill look at that right now thanks!

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Is this not what you have?

Attachments

• E27B49BC-538F-4F64-9AD8-F14C5C9A304F.jpeg
    E27B49BC-538F-4F64-9AD8-F14C5C9A304F.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 195

YorkshirePud

Apr 1, 2017
Merseyside
No I am looking into upgrading the interior boot light. The car came with all LED lights fitted barring the reverse, rear fog and rear indicators. I've upgraded them with bulbs from HIDs direct. The video Bendy linked to was just what i needed.

b1ggus

Apr 28, 2021
No I am looking into upgrading the interior boot light. The car came with all LED lights fitted barring the reverse, rear fog and rear indicators. I've upgraded them with bulbs from HIDs direct. The video Bendy linked to was just what i needed.

Don't go at your interior trim with a metal screwdriver though! Attached is from the workshop manual...

Attachments

• Luggage compartment light removal.pdf
    226.7 KB · Views: 234
Reactions: YorkshirePud
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.