Upgrading radio

Mar 8, 2021
Denmark
Hi.

I'm looking to upgrade the radio on my 2014 Mk3 since I really want CarPlay.
I currently have the small radio with no unit in the glovebox, but found a MIB2 with screen super cheap from a scrapyard.

I am aware that I need a new glovebox to fit the unit, but is the existing wire long enough to be routed down to the glovebox - or do I need some kind of "extension" loom ?

Been searching every possible site, but I simply can't find a answer.

I hope some of you clever minds can help me out!

Cheers

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Its not as simple as just plugging in a newer control unit, I wish it was, I have MIB1 with Nav, and looked into upgrading to MIB2 so I could use android auto but there is component security on the boxes and there is no easy (read cheap!) way. It can be done - but expensive.
Just get a good car mount for your phone.

Do some searching on MIB1 to MIB2 upgrade.

GlekkeMatrak

Dec 22, 2020
Houtvenne, Belgium
I'm currently going through the process of sound deadening the car and upgrading the speakers on my MIB1 Seat Sound system. Thought of upgrading to MIB2 as well, but this sure as hell costs me too much for the advantages it would deliver. I currently mount my phone in a windshield phoneholder, and charge it if necessary with a cable I ran through the centre console all the way to next to the steering wheel. My phone doesn't even interfere with my view on the road so kinda does the trick for me. Waze is linked with youtube music anyway so I'm happy with it.

Mar 8, 2021
Denmark
I am using a nice phone cradle right now, but I am annoyed having my phone hanging on the dash.

I will try to write my question in another way;

I have the basic radio installed from factory right now:
s-l400.jpg

However I purchased a MIB2 and the 6,5" screen.
I have the part number for the new glovebox I require to fit the MIB unit, however I am unsure if I need a new cable, since I need the one going into my current radio and into the glovebox.
If so, is it some kind of extension loom or is the current cable loom long enough to be routed down to the glovebox compartment? :D

kimimaru

Feb 15, 2010
West midlands
The cables that will be missing, will be DAB aerial if car didn't had, satnav aerial might not be there, so you might need aerial.
the unit needs component protection removed and is just fitting on standard leon.
cupra and FR need exact from same car or need codding back to options standard.
ex: mib2 from standar leon can only go to standar leon.
From FR to FR, otherwise needs coding to vehicle options might not be there

Reactions: SuperV8

bahyr

Jun 26, 2019
MIB1 5" to MIB2 6,5" you will need:
MIB2 unit (with the SD nav card )+ display unit
extension cable set
new rev usb port + cable
GPS aeral
DAB areal (if there is DAB in you area )
Component Protection removal and coding to your car
I didn't change my glovebox, just cut the back.
Seat Soud and rear camera are extra ;)

kimimaru

Feb 15, 2010
West midlands
MIB1 5" to MIB2 6,5" you will need:
MIB2 unit (with the SD nav card )+ display unit
extension cable set
new rev usb port + cable
GPS aeral
DAB areal (if there is DAB in you area )
Component Protection removal and coding to your car
I didn't change my glovebox, just cut the back.
Seat Soud and rear camera are extra ;)
do they need coding if are from car match to match ?
ex from fr to fr? we swapped one and is working, no codding just removed the protection off ebay, we got it of ebay

kimimaru

Feb 15, 2010
West midlands
i will have mib from cupra for sale with 6.5 screen next week, i bough the 8inch and mib 2.5, just need component protection removed then i will sell mine