Vauxhall draft in Menu while SEAT bring out Coronel for Thruxton

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
News is now confirmed

Autosport report that Menu is confirmed, and shows picture of him in VX race overalls. here << CLICK

Autosport claiming SEAT have a third car entered for the final round, but have yet to confirm a driver. Come on Scott, give us an exclusive ;)

Last edited:

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
I am in two minds ZBOYD.

In one mind I am thinking adding Alain may have made SEAT's fight that little bit harder. We now have TWO worldclass drivers in VXR.

But in the other I am thinking is it not a last desperate throw of the dice? Are VXR possibly in the frame of mind that they cannot win with Fabrizio and Tom alone? Because we know how poor Tom has been in a very competitive car as the Vectra. But also other than his 4 10pts this season for his wins he only has three 1pts and two 6pts. Though he is the lead Chevy driver with 55pts he is is two adrift of Thommo (in an old Alfa) who has 57 and way behind the next driver - Schnitzers Jorg Muller who has 66.

Don't be that worried. Alain ain't gonna perform miracles.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
especially as he's got to learn a car/team/engineer/tyres/circuit (again)

he'll do well, but if he wins a race I'll eat my hat (as he'll get full monty ballast)

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
A desperate last throw of the dice that could tarnish what has been a great season so far. I just hope he is as professional as we know he should be, and stays out of the title fight. I want SEAT to win, but we all want a fair fight for the title.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Autosport are suggesting that SEAT are running a 3rd car. However im not sure how water tight that asumption is based on the fact they have had a 3rd car registered all year.

My hope is a TDi Leon with Yvan driving it ;) Means SEAT UK get the opportunity to evaluate the derv on another UK circuit giving them some extra track info. For when they buy a couple next year for the full championship. Well we hope anyway. ;)

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
The source who usually claims to be in the know (and is 99% right most of the time) on btcc.net's forum says Gabriele Tarquini may be in with a shout of that drive now.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I saw someone suggest it wouldn't be Yvan, because he doesn't like JP.

News to the wise, Yvan is a professional PAID racing driver. He goes where the money is, simple.

Equally Tarquini would be a great choice too. How about this for one out of left field. Rydell. :p

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
They'd have to 'rent' a car for Rydell though wouldn't they?

I mean I can't see SEAT Sport Spain handing over (albeit with a fee I'm sure) one of their 'main' cars

then again..... given three drivers are now in TDi's, there are 'spare' S2000 Petrol Leon's

I still prefer the idea of seeing a TDI, but it'd be an expensive 'test' and learning session for tyres & setup

JasonP06

Sep 11, 2006
They'd have to 'rent' a car for Rydell though wouldn't they?

I mean I can't see SEAT Sport Spain handing over (albeit with a fee I'm sure) one of their 'main' cars

then again..... given three drivers are now in TDi's, there are 'spare' S2000 Petrol Leon's

I still prefer the idea of seeing a TDI, but it'd be an expensive 'test' and learning session for tyres & setup

Sadly, a very valid reason for why we shouldn't expect Rikard and one for why we shouldn't expect a TDI at Thruxton.

What about Terting? He had a petrol Leon for Oschersleben and he is contesting "some" FIA GT rounds - he is not doing the full season. But as he no longer runs for SEAT surely he is no longer in their employment and cannot be given over so easily?

What if you add the possibility SEAT have another petrol Leon already built - could Yvan, Jordi or Gabriele NOW join??

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
As far as I am aware the rules imply you register the cars, not the drivers. So anyone could feasibly drive the car for them. As long as they have the necessary racing licenses of course.

It's Monza this weekend so tbh I can't see them turning around a TDi fast enough to ship it over the UK in time. So its probably going to be a third petrol.

or

They don't run a third car and take the moral high ground over VX. ;)

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Interesting indeed. Just got the press email but I've been busy working (the day job) so not been on the ball. But i'll stick it up on the site in a bit.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
New car from Spain ?

I've asked the question and the reply i got was as follows.

Car will be a SEAT Sport supplied car. It's livery will be as close to a UK livery as is possible.

So I presume bit like how Thommo's WTCC car was setup last year.

main.php

Press Release now on SEATCupra.net here

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.