Very low MPG mystery..

thesoundone

Apr 9, 2014
Do the rear brakes need bleeding if you change the calipers? Sorry if that's a silly question, not had much experience with brakes..

thesoundone

Apr 9, 2014
Off topic but I've noticed im getting 2-4 mpg better since I changed both drive shafts a month ago....

Interesting.. My drives shafts were changed too before I bought the car. I dread think what the MPG could have been before this, lol.

thesoundone

Apr 9, 2014
Rear brake fixed now and after a short test run I think the MPG has gone up a bit so I think I'll settle for that. As an aside, we went out last night in our Skoda Fabia 1.9 and I managed 79MPG on the trip computer on the way back! (probably not accurate) These engines are worlds apart in terms of performance and economy... Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
From my experience the 2.0 has way more poke than the 1.9. 140 bhp is a conservative figure given by VAG as I think a few people have found when having rolling road remaps, the start figure was at or above 140. A good custom rr remap will free up the rev range whilst having little impact on mpg, unless you hoof it
BKD probably works best with dsg as the gearbox map is matched to the engine.
Again off topic, my dsg is reluctant to accelerate on large roundabouts. I wonder if the dsg is connected to the lateral g sensors and dumbs the dsg response. Anybody else have this sluggishness?

thesoundone

Apr 9, 2014
Not sure about DSG related issues but what I've personally found is the 2.0 is nowhere near as lively as the 1.9 especially from standstill. We've had some fun before off the lights with me driving the altea and my girlfriend driving the 1.9 fabia and the fabia is gone before I've even started moving. It was the same with a Bora I had that had the 1.9 engine.

I think the 2.0 has a much smoother power delivery all in all. These are only my opinions though :)

Last edited:

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
I have a mk2 leon ref sport 140 bkd, and I too generally only get 420 til the light comes on and only 37 mpg. I had all the same concerns you do regarding economy. I have the dreaded siren noise from the turbo and think the bearings are worn so ultimately need a new one. Whilst waiting to do this I have had a terraclean done and only done one tank so far but gained an extra 42 miles from tank and mpg went up to 41.

SNAP-ON

May 24, 2009
Not sure about DSG related issues but what I've personally found is the 2.0 is nowhere near as lively as the 1.9 especially from standstill. We've had some fun before off the lights with me driving the altea and my girlfriend driving the 1.9 fabia and the fabia is gone before I've even started moving. It was the same with a Bora I had that had the 1.9 engine.

I think the 2.0 has a much smoother power delivery all in all. These are only my opinions though :)

My opinion also , the 1.9tdis totally different power delivery and seem a lot quicker . I found the the dsg altea bkd seems to fly aswell lol . A golf 150tdi makes my mapped altea look silly .

thesoundone

Apr 9, 2014
I have a mk2 leon ref sport 140 bkd, and I too generally only get 420 til the light comes on and only 37 mpg. I had all the same concerns you do regarding economy. I have the dreaded siren noise from the turbo and think the bearings are worn so ultimately need a new one. Whilst waiting to do this I have had a terraclean done and only done one tank so far but gained an extra 42 miles from tank and mpg went up to 41.

Yes, it seems that many of us are getting pretty low figures from the BKD engine, however to make matters more confusing I've heard from some owners who are getting into the mid 50's on long trips (actual fuel consumption) so it makes you wonder if there is a common 'thing' that happens with these engines that hits the MPG. I think you're right about the turbo and the siren noise being the bearings. I know of others that have this noise from very low miles up until quite high miles so its the luck of the draw I think whether or not the turbo gives up or not. I think the actuator on my turbo is slightly sticking as it goes very flat after 2k rpm and then livens up again after 2.5k. Might re do the mr muscle treatment and try and unstick the actuator in the process..

I'm interested in this Terraclean thing. How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?

thesoundone

Apr 9, 2014
Just thought I would keep this thread updated..

I had a Terraclean done on my car a couple of days ago to try and rule out any issues with carboned up injectors and valves etc..

In short, it's had absolutely no affect on my car so the search goes on to try and find why my power delivery is very flat and fuel consumption high.

I'm going try adjusting the torsion next as the car had a timing belt change before I bough it and this may not have been set correctly. I just need to find someone locally who is willing to help me with VCDS as I only own macs. Anyone in the newark/Lincoln area that could help? Very willing to offer some cash in return.. I'll post another thread about this I think.

The search goes on but I'm determined to sort this out one way or another![:@]

Last edited:

thesoundone

Apr 9, 2014
SOLVED!

I just adjusted the front most cam by undoing the 3 bolts on the top pulley and advanced the timing very slightly by putting an 18mm socket on the centre pulley bolt and turning it clockwise by the smallest amount. Did everything back up again and went for a ride and I now have a different car. MPG has increased by around 4 and the engine now has the torque that I expected from driving my other TDI's.

Just need to get it on VCDS at some point to make the final accurate adjustment but I'm happy now. Hope this thread helps someone else..

SNAP-ON

May 24, 2009
Did u do this by fluke ? I dont have vcds but do have access to a snapon modis which is vagcom based in expert mode but i dont know what to look for and in which measuring block ect

thesoundone

Apr 9, 2014
Yes I did do it by fluke but I'm not 100% sure that's its dead on, it just feels better. The reading you're looking for is the torsion value but as I don't have VCDS I can't tell you where it would be in the UI. I need to get mine checked as tweaked if necessary..

SNAP-ON

May 24, 2009
I seem to of cured my intermitten slight judder on idle and low rpm holding back by fitting new oem afm

Alibaly

Feb 1, 2014
Scotland
Hello again, I have a 2009 2.0tdi also and I get the slight judder od idle at times and a whoo noise when I change up in the lower gears but my fuel consumption is fine. When I measure from full tank to full tank and work it out I average 46mpg and on the present tank full I am showing 195,7 miles run on the trip and 405miles till I need fuel so all in all I am very pleased with the figures. My last car 1.9 golf 105 only averaged 46mpg and had nothing like the performance of the 2.0tdi so am I just lucky or do most people get the same as me? Anyway good luck with your quest for a better consumption. By the way I use morrisons fuel all the time.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.