Vibration at high speeds problem

TKB

Jun 20, 2022
So on November I had to change the oil/filters on my Formentor so I went to the dealership and asked to swap my tires to winter tires while I'm there. Immediately after changing the tires, when I got on the highway heading back to home I felt huge vibration at around 100km/h. The vibration could be felt mostly through seats, floor, door and center console. It worsened when I went even faster. At 120km/h it could be felt at the steering wheel as well.

I went back to dealership next day, they rebalanced my wheels, but the vibration persisted! The dealership said I might have bent a wheel and should check my wheels.

I was very sceptical about such a suggestion, because the vibration started after changing the tires. But alright I went to some local wheels service to check if I had any damage to wheels and even did straighten one of the wheels that was a little bent. Guess what, the vibration persisted.

I then went to rebalance my wheels in independent service and when the vibration persisted I even tried the road force balance with HUNTER GSP9700. Vibration became more subtle, but still remained!

In one of the services they noticed that the front left wheel bearing of Formentor was different size from the original Cupra rims center bore. Apparently the rims have center bore size of 57,1mm, but the wheel bearing size was about 3 mm less. So the guys there explained me that this might be an issue as the wheel isn't perfectly centered. They even showed me that there's movement in unbolted wheel and they told me that it shouldn't be like that at all.

I even communicated with the shop where I purchased the winter tires (Hankook evo3) thinking that maybe the tires could have been faulty. The tire shop was very responsive and I ended up swapping my winter two more times. Apparently the tire shop admitted that the Hankooks I had might be the problem when they inspected them. Now I'm having Goodyear Ultragrip performance tires. The car vibrates less now, but it is still very annoying especially when I have to go on a longer drives on highways for more than an hour.

I went back to dealer to possibly troubleshoot the vibration there and also asked about the difference in sizing of rims center bore to wheel bearing, but they responded that the Formentor wheels have conical seats so there's no problem if the unbolted wheels can be shaked a bit, because apparently conical seats are supposed to center the wheel. And they of course told me that car looked fine and they didn't notice any vibration while testing out my car. When I asked how fast did they go they responded that they only tried it out in the city and never got to high speeds when I specifically told that vibration happens only on highway speeds... They put 18 inch Cupra wheels from their demo car on my Formentor to test within the weekend if the vibration persists. I tried it out and the vibration at high speeds are still there. Its not huge, but I can definitely feel it. It even gets very obvious at 120km/h. It's kinda frustrating at this point, because I have a feeling that the dealership won't be very helpful as they do not believe there is vibration at all...

Has anyone had anything similar with their Formentor? Maybe you could give any inputs to what might be the problem? Could it be that the 19 inch rims tend to "sit in" and change shape and are sensitive to swapping places and the dealership mixed up the places of the wheels? I remember reading something like that somewhere. I don't know. But if the wheels were the problem why would I feel vibration with the 18 inch Cupra rims aswell...? :(

Any inputs will be appreciated.

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
When my vz is fully loaded, at highway speeds and accelerating from abt 100 to 140 I get sometimes a feeling of slight vibration on my seat but nothing annoying and it doesn't last. When I'm alone or not loaded I cannot feel anything. Since it has to do with floor/seat vibration it most likely is related to rear wheel balancing but being mostly unnoticeable I do not even think of trying to address it, only if in time it gets worse and annoying although so far and for 14000+ kms is still the same.

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
No, got used to it at first, then rotated the tires at 20000 and having them balanced again, it is now almost non existent.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.