VZ3 alloy wheel protection

Essex Ranger

Nov 3, 2021
Hi all, has anyone bought & fitted alloy wheel protection like 'Rimsavers' or 'Rimblades'? My VZ3 alloys have already been scuffed and I want to minimise future damage. I'd be interested in hearing which brand best fits/suits the standard VZ3 wheels and how easy they were to fit.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Are the edges of the alloys on your car diamond cut? If yes, then I seem to remember some of these rim protector products might not be suitable for diamond cut alloys.

I’d personally not fit them.
  • I think the fitting method for Alloygators is to hammer them on with a ‘soft’ hammer. I don’t know what risk there is of damaging the diamond cut / lacquered rim of the wheel in doing this, but in the videos I’ve seen of them being fitted, a fair amount of brute force is used hammering them into place. If the lacquer gets damaged, then white worm corrosion would set in undetected behind the Alloygator - and a refurb of the wheel would be required to get rid of it. Also, any small particles of grit that could get between the rim protector and the wheel would create ideal conditions for the trapped grit to rub against the clearcoat, again increasing the risk of white worm corrosion.
  • It’s also been known for these rim protectors to become detached while the car is being driven - maybe more of a risk with the stick-on type (Rimblades?). If this happens, then the loose end of the rim protector could cause quite a lot of damage the paintwork as it hits the bodywork with each rotation of the wheel. There’s a picture of damage caused this way in the discussion thread at the link below over on Pistonheads forum;
The general consensus in that discussion thread seems to be don’t fit them.​
  • I’d also be concerned at the possible damage that could be done to alloys removing and refitting these rim protectors when new tyres are fitted.