W13 JAL - '04 Leon Cupra R - GT30 coming soon!! (Page6)

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
Looking good who's doing you mapping? I see you went for the smaller Toyosport cooler, It'll be interesting to see how you get on with it.

John Lindsay

May 24, 2012
Hamilton, Scotland
Going to eTune for mapping on Saturday.

Intake temperatures were approximately 16-18° above ambient with the standard setup and have now dropped to usually between 7-8° above ambient after fitting the intercooler.

Being that the bigger intercooler is massively shielded by the crash bar, I don't imagine there will be any great differences.

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
Both the cooling and flow on the Wellycooler are proven to work well. It'll be interesting to see how this cooler works.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Both the cooling and flow on the Wellycooler are proven to work well. It'll be interesting to see how this cooler works.

I have to say that it was my idea not to get the wellycooler. I felt like it required to much cutting of the crashbar and that there was no more exposed core than this one.

The worry was always pressure drop across the cooler, but from what we've seen on johns car, this isn't an issue. We really need some 30° temps so it can get a proper workout :D

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
I have to say that it was my idea not to get the wellycooler. I felt like it required to much cutting of the crashbar and that there was no more exposed core than this one.

The worry was always pressure drop across the cooler, but from what we've seen on johns car, this isn't an issue. We really need some 30° temps so it can get a proper workout :D

30 degree temps? Never getting those tbh judging by the UK weather system these days :lol:

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
I can understand you thinking with cutting the crash bar. As far as pressure drop across the core there's very little, it flows very well.
They're well made coolers it'll work well.

John Lindsay

May 24, 2012
Hamilton, Scotland
So, Saturday's Mapping went well, car feels simply amazing now, and the limp mode fault is gone! :funk:

After getting mapped we shot straight back to a charity Rolling Road Day, where the figures weren't particularly impressive, however the chap who mapped it said that it could take a couple hundred miles for all the adaptations to come into effect. Regardless of figures the car felt awesome to drive.

Few pics on the Dyno:

After now having done a few hundred miles the figures indicated by my liquid gauge are getting better and better!

Car was dropped off with Mark at eTune tonight to go for a day's testing tomorrow on their own dyno to make sure that everything is 100% spot on, and also to get some more accurate dyno readings.

Excellent service by Mark Hamill of eTune - check out their Facebook Page

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
305bhp! What does it peak at in psi/bar mate? Sounds like you're happy with it :)

What limp mode issue were you getting can you describe it?

John Lindsay

May 24, 2012
Hamilton, Scotland
Peaks at 22.4 psi. Not convinced that the liquid guage is 100% spot on for BHP but it'll be close enough.

It kept showing a 17705 - Pressure Drop between turbo and throttle valve (check DV) fault code. Symptoms were that it would run perfectly, boost as normal for one hard run up the gears, then drop into limp mode, where the boost was just cut completely.

I had the car smoke tested to rule out a physical leak and that showed nothing, so people's advice on here and elsewhere pointed to it being a glitch in the software, and mapping appears to have solved the problem.

Very very pleased with it!

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Figures are always a funny debate especially on forums mate but what I will say is that the car looks to be running very well! So hats off to the mapper.

Cheers for the info on the limp mode. Would this happen mainly when the car is cold? Did you find restarting the car to clear it? I've had a similar issue with mine.

Glad you're happy bud!

John Lindsay

May 24, 2012
Hamilton, Scotland
So not been on and updated this for a while, myself and Garry (vroomtshh) have set up and are running our own tuning company - Caltech Performance - check us out on facebook if you like.

Yesterday saw us at Crail for the REVO Vag Vs Ford day, where I ended up running a 14.1 second 1/4 mile, car felt really good and I was pleased with that time, not sure what these usually run, but it was a top 10 time :)

hiswalker

Hey mate, got the same map as you from etune. Im getting trouble code 17535 (running rich) coming up and putting it into limp mode, was just wondering if you had this pro

hiswalker

Yeah mate, everything is fine with the map, it ran fine for about 3 month. Was just wondering if he had to change his fuel pump, fpr etc because of stage 2, its currently running 310bhp and 330ftlbs

John Lindsay

May 24, 2012
Hamilton, Scotland
So.... Not been on here to update for quite a while, this update is fairly large, even if I am just gathering bits at the moment!

My GT30 beside Garry's K04 Hybrid, see his separate build thread for further details!

New engine with Forged rods and AGU Head has also arrived so hopefully early next year it'll be going together.

John

Last edited:

anni25pd

Jul 23, 2012
glasgow/ayrshire
Nice mate! Your cars progressing well certainly sounds the part, was alongside you recently heading towards Ayrshire on the '77 in my black lcr. Was weird being alongside an near identical looking lcr ! Was travelling at sensible speeds (as were you) due to being low on fuel but your car looks & sounds good.

Hoping to get a bit more performance orientated in the new year also as hopefully doing a nurburgring trip next year.

Good luck with new business venture also

John Lindsay

May 24, 2012
Hamilton, Scotland
Ahh! I had wondered if that was a fellow forum member, got to Garry's in Kilmarnock and mentioned it but he said he didn't recognise your car from the description!

Thanks very much!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members