water in my v5 again........errrrrr

rhys57

Hi guys

For the 2nd time this month my front and back passenger sides of the car has been totally socked ie water in both footwells im sick of it, it takes so long to dry the carpets out....[:@]

So ive been to seat and bought 2 new sets of seals for the doors it took me and my friend today around 4 hours to reseal all the doors, Doors cards off inner cards sealed. So im drying out the carpets as i type this. If it happens again im going to sell the toledo its a shame its a great car but its to much hassle to do this when it rains really hard...I really would like a cupra r but i dont think i would bother because seal leak like the titanic its a shame....:cry:

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
i have just been doing the same with mine.
done the rear door tonight,if it stays dry job done,if not,front door next.
i have lost my central locking and leccy mirrors too,so until i get the leak sorted i am stuffed.
undid my inner door card bolts and filled the gap with roof and gutter mastic,bolted the inner card back up and wiped up the residue as it squidged out.

rhys57

I know mate its a right pain, as i said once mines dry if it does it again autotrader here i come i love the car but it does my head in drying the carpets....

Colin C

Apr 1, 2003
Southampton
Visit site
I have done over a hundred doors and none have leaked afterwards from the doors. The only way to do it properly is to remove the inner frame and make sure you remove all the old foam seal, if you don't it will still leak past your new sealant. Buy the proper rolls of sealant and stick it onto the inner frame and then bolt the frame back onto the door. Also make sure the water isn't leaking from the speakers, if it is then remove the speaker and reseal to the door.

I have seen loads of half hearted attempts that still leak, do the job properly.... do the job once ;)

VRS_john

How come your central locking plays up when these leak?
Is the convienience control unit under the carpet?

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
How come your central locking plays up when these leak?
Is the convienience control unit under the carpet?

central locking went first,then water appeared in the rear foot well.
i am going to go out on a limb and say it's under the dash on my toledo,as that's where mine was on my old octavia vrs(and gave me the same symptons without the wet floor though).And that's where i can here a ticking noise under the dash when i try and operate my central locking in -car.
They may well not be related,but that's one hell of a coincidence when the wet floor has come from the door area(where the central locking units are )

GarryRF

I have 2 Toledo's (wife and mine) with the wet carpets problem. Water gets trapped between the door and seal in heavy rain. Spills over into foot well. Front and back. I cut a 5mm slot out of the rubber seal where the curve meets the sill top. No problems since. Garry.

gib23

Think Im going to try that, is it the seal on the door sill or the seal on the bottom of the actual door that you cut the slot out of?
Gib

GarryRF

The seal on the top of the sill before it starts to go up towards the hinges. Usually this problem occurs when you park with 2 wheels on the kerb. Hope it works for you.

gib23

The car sits on a fairly flat driveway but always the drivers side fills up, ill try the cutting the slot anyway, let you know how it goes
cheers gib

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
GarryRF wrote

I have 2 Toledo's (wife and mine) with the wet carpets problem. Water gets trapped between the door and seal in heavy rain. Spills over into foot well. Front and back. I cut a 5mm slot out of the rubber seal where the curve meets the sill top. No problems since.

I think you've only treated the symptom, not the underlying cause. If you find water inside the door seal, it must be getting there from somewhere - and I'd say it was the ancilliary plate seal.

I'd expect the problem to reassert itself after a while, as the original leak gets worse.

Like ColinC says, use the proper replacement. You can make the job easier by not removing the top bolts, only loosening them, so that the plate swings out from the door. You only get at the bottom 2/3 of the door circumferance, but the door would have to fill up with water before it could get past the new seal. The benefit is that you don't have to disturb the window glass.

GarryRF

Carpets on both Toledos have been dry for 4 months now. Front and back. While its OK I wont fix it. Thanks for the feedback.

mac re

I have done over a hundred doors and none have leaked afterwards from the doors. The only way to do it properly is to remove the inner frame and make sure you remove all the old foam seal, if you don't it will still leak past your new sealant. Buy the proper rolls of sealant and stick it onto the inner frame and then bolt the frame back onto the door. Also make sure the water isn't leaking from the speakers, if it is then remove the speaker and reseal to the door.

I have seen loads of half hearted attempts that still leak, do the job properly.... do the job once ;)

were do you get the proper rolls of sealant?

flares

Feb 11, 2007
newport,south wales
Had the door seals done on my wifes Toledo in may , but water is coming in again . Always in the same place , drivers side rear footwell , I`ve checked the pollen filter & it seems ok so any ideas please as it`s really getting on my nerves

Colin C

Apr 1, 2003
Southampton
Visit site
were do you get the proper rolls of sealant?

Your local dealer should be able to supply it, the part number is AKD4970100R10 £24.58 + vat. It comes as a box with 4 length's of sealant enough for all 4 doors. As I said before you must unbolt the inner plate and make sure you remove all the old foam seal before you fit the relacement sealant. If you don't remove all the old foam it still leaks at these points !

As Muttley stated you only need to do the bottom and both sides.

If you are still suffering from water ingrees on the drivers side but not getting any water on the tops of the inner sill trims after rain ( indicating the doors are not leaking ) I have come across a seam at the top of the bulk head close to the bonnet hinge on the drivers side not being fully sealed. This is quite rare and hard to locate.

If it makes you guy's feel any better on my new Toledo I had to re-seal both passenger doors a couple of weeks ago after both window regulators broke in 1 week :doh: only to find out this week the drivers side rear footwell is full of water :cry: so this morning I have re-sealed both drivers doors, next weekend I will remove and dry the carpet.

george.george

dont forget to cut the lower door seals guys.they fold in and block the drain holes. three holes in each door.cut an inch section away around each hole.or else all that hard work is wasted,the doors fill up with water and it comes in through the speakers :)

Altgr

I call my local seat garage and asked for AKD4970100R10,and he told me that that part dont existing in Croatian region.

Does anyone know another number for this ( AKD4970100R10 ) ??

I live in Croatia and maybe we dont have same numbers like in EU?

Best Regards

Colin C

Apr 1, 2003
Southampton
Visit site
I call my local seat garage and asked for AKD4970100R10,and he told me that that part dont existing in Croatian region.

Does anyone know another number for this ( AKD4970100R10 ) ??

I live in Croatia and maybe we dont have same numbers like in EU?

Best Regards

Try your local VW dealer as it's a consumable rather than an actual car part so they might be able to supply it.

Toledo Steve

Apr 20, 2006
Slots in seals

I cut the slots in my seals just over 2 years ago after the drivers side rear footwell got wet, I also cleaned out the rubber seals under the doors and checked the drainholes, they were clear. But its the slots what did it for my Tolly. (note it wasn,t parked on a slope, just a flat yard and I only ever had probems with the driver side rear.)RHD

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.