water leak :(

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
hi all. i noticed yesterday that i have a leak. its in the rear passanger footwell. now i have checked the door seals and they are fine, the leak seem to be in the very corner next to the back side of the hand brake.there is no water near any doors. i personallly think its coming from under the car, maybe a missing bung. has any one else had this? any help would be fantastic

BlackLeon

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
and yes i have a leak but not there. mine is above the accelorator pedal but the water runs down to the back of the car. Bodge job to stop the water pouring in, good times!

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
has anyone else had a water leak! is that a joke?! all these cars need in winter are sails and a rudder!

very funny:lol:
i no tons and tons of people have had leaks but they are normally caused by the door seals, i wanted to no if any 1 had the same leak as mine;)

Staszek20vt

Aug 19, 2009
PL/BE
www.leonclub.pl
I don't know how it is in UK specs cars, but in EU specs this water leak has been caused by unproperly changed cabin filter. Which is located on the right side of the car. There is a rubber piece which if fit un properly cause water flow thorough ventilation system.

mikeholroyd

You'll probably find it is the door carrier seal leaking, water will be running over the sill and into the footwell.

I'll bet a weeks wages that if you pull the carpet and underlay back, it won't just be by the handbrake where it's well -- it will be the whole footwell.

I wouldn't have thought it's a bung come out -- I've never noticed on in the footwell, and would be fitted from inside anyway to prevent it being pushed out by pressure on the carpets.

Loads of threads on here about the leaks. It's an easy enough fix, but a bitch of a job to get things properly dried out again.

Mike

BlackLeon

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Try and avoid pulling the carpet up and instead try and get hold of one of those vax carpet cleaners. you'll be amazed how much water it can suck up. i'm talking litres!

Deleted member 20376

this may sound silly but when my rear washer jet was leaking it leaked underneath the rear seat and down to the footwell. mine didnt fully disconnect its self only half so water was still coming out but not as much as it should i found that it was leaking above the arch and travelled underneath the rear pass side seat. :-(

NI3K

Nov 19, 2009
blackleon - easy fix that by taking off wipers, scuttle panel and using some sealant to get bonnet release grommet, electrics box and any other dodgy looking areas sealed up while under there, workeed for me :)

mikeholroyd

blackleon - easy fix that by taking off wipers, scuttle panel and using some sealant to get bonnet release grommet, electrics box and any other dodgy looking areas sealed up while under there, workeed for me :)

I did this as well, but had one HELL of a job getting the wiper arms off. Thought the screen was going to go with the pressure I had to use to release them, but agree with post -- anywhere under there that has access to iside needs sealing -- panel around electric cables, pollen filter housng and along the whole of the bulkhead seam as well

Car now as dry as a bone.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackLeon

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton

excellent i'll give that a go soon as :)

NI3K

Nov 19, 2009
I did this as well, but had one HELL of a job getting the wiper arms off. Thought the screen was going to go with the pressure I had to use to release them, but agree with post -- anywhere under there that has access to iside needs sealing -- panel around electric cables, pollen filter housng and along the whole of the bulkhead seam as well

Car now as dry as a bone.

Mike

agree about those wiper arms! took a lot of levering and gentle persuasion to get them to free up!

mikeholroyd

agree about those wiper arms! took a lot of levering and gentle persuasion to get them to free up!

GENTLE persuasion? :p[:@]GENTLE PERSUASION?!?!?!?!? :p[:@]THAT'S what you call it, is it??? [:@] I honestly nearly gave the job up as a bad idea, as I was certain I was going to need a new windscreen as well! You should have heard (and felt) the bloody bangs when they finally released. Nearly s**t myself.:scary:

Please make sure you wire brush ALL the rust off the splindles, and give a really good coat of copper grease on them before refitting the wipers. No way was I going to go through that performance if they ever needed to come off again.

Mike

Goose1

Just tried drying the rear footwells out on my LCR, Water is leaking in from the front doors but all the water goes to the back footwell as the sound proofing under the carpet has a PVC layer which leaves the water to not come through at the front but the back foot wells. I found that the sills at the very bottom of the front doors were covered in mud not allowing the water to drain properly so hopefully this will cure it.