water leaking

Nov 7, 2009
hi people. not been on the forum long. water is gettin in my car wen its rainin, iv checked all my drain holds and they are clear:confused: dont no wer else to check, can anybody help? ash

gazcoedcae

do a search mate, i had same problem, turned out to be door seals inside the door. Would help if you mentioned where in the car is wet. All cheap and simple fixes by the way

JamJay

California Bound
It's your inner door seal, well it certainly sounds like it.

The inner door seal is a foam sealant, not rubber like the other seal at the bottom of the door.

You need to undo all the screws on the door card and remove it, unplugging any wiring as you go. There are screws along the bottom of the door card and also in the door grip (black handle) which you'll need to prise apart to see. Once this is off, you'll see a large metal plate that is silver in colour and around the edge you'll spot the foam sealant. Now run your eyes around the edge and look for a place where the sealant has perished, usually it's at the bottom of the plate and is made noticable by dirty water stains around that area.

Once you've located it, undo the bolts holding the plate on but don't remove them, just loosen so you can fit almost a finger between the plate and the door. If you do remove the plate, your run the risk of the window dropping or it not working correctly after refitting everything. Anyway, now get some silicone sealant and reseal the part that has perished or like I did, reseal the whole bottom edge so you don't need to do this again.

Plug in your electrics again and connect the latch mechanism to the inner handle, then refit the door card and allow to dry.

When it next rains, all should be well.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2009
cheers for all that, very helpful, wudnt ov had a clue wot to do, did you lads do all the door seals? or jus the 1?

Nov 7, 2009
il probably do all 4, depends how long it takes me do 1 lol, but they all need doin at some point so il do em all. il nip off to b&q later hopefully, cheers lads

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.