Weird clanging noise coming from a big brass band hiding somewhere in my car

Greegiecee

Loving my SEATs
Oct 9, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Ok so this is a weird one. I have had many suspension issues with various cars over the years, but this is one I have never hear. Got in the car yesterday to leave work and had a strange sound coming from somewhere underneath. It sounds like someone has hit a coil spring with a metal pole , just one dong. There is no method to it, it happens when I am on a perfectly smooth straight road, sometimes it happens when I have changed gear and released the clutch, but it never happens all the time. Doesn't happen when I am going over bumps and everything seems quite solid. Any ideas?

adestu

Sep 22, 2015
I had something simular.
Check the brake disc backplates.my rear ones were hitting the dics making a similar noise.failing that dmf on the way out?

Greegiecee

Loving my SEATs
Oct 9, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Thanks Adestu,

I'll check the brake disc shield. Don't think it's the DMF as the clutch is working fine and it doesn't happen only when changing gear. It is very random and happens even when cruising for a while. Thanks again

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
I had this in our old polo and the clang initially was a spring breaking and then mainly on steering but not always it would come slightly unseated and make the dong noise.

Might not be that but I wouldn't rule it out.

Greegiecee

Loving my SEATs
Oct 9, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Thanks SeatJay, I actually thought about a coil spring as I had one that broke on a car years ago. Did jack the car up and they don't feel like there is any play or movement in them, but then sometimes these things don't always show up straight away. Also, can't actually see any coil springs on the rear of the car. Either they are tiny or the car runs on air :eek: I may take the car into a local garage tomorrow and get them to put it on a ramp.

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
I think (but don't quote me) they are quite high up in the arch and fairly hidden away. Never know you might have Air ride all over!

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
Correct that had the wheels off to paint the brake calipers and the springs are further in on the wishbone. Unlikely to be that but you never know. Would be worth jacking your car up and taking the wheel off. Have a good look at all the suspension for anything loose.

Paul_Treg

Mar 20, 2016
South Wales
Hi Greegiecee,
I have had a similar noise on my Altea, it turned out to be the near side strut top bearing sticking and releasing with a "dong" when I was driving along the road, seems to echo through the spring when it releases.

Thanks
Paul_Treg

robbo990

Jan 6, 2016
Had that issue on a Peugeot 307 - was the top bearing the old one had disintegrated.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise