Full Beam lower, too low, different (after service)

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
Always one of those weird things when you go for a service and when it comes out something seems different and it can't be the work that has been done that caused it but its a little coincidental.

Anyway driving in dark tonight had full beam on Auto and when it engaged the full beam seems a lot lower than previously (have had car for over a year) it seems to be very bright on the road in front but doesn't go as far down the road as it used to. Before today the headlights (LED) have been lovely and bright and covered a good distance in front.

They did do a software update for emmissions recall and the oil service/25pt check. Not sure Headlight level would be included in test and car is only a year old.

Anyone had the same thing happen, could it be self levelling failed? Or can i just adjust myself back to where it used to be - really can't stand going in to the garage again..
Thx

Reactions: Bear

drmrbrewer

Mar 29, 2024
@bounderboy did you figure this out? I'm finding that my full beam is just a brighter version of my dipped beam, i.e. same height, just brighter. Not very helpful for increased visibility further ahead when you need it... the dipped beam brightness is already enough to see fine for the immediate road ahead... but with no oncoming traffic I want to see further not brighter, i.e. not just have the near view lit more brightly but to see further ahead! Surely if the height of the dipped beam is set to be below the eyeline of oncoming cars, the full beam can (and should) be higher, since there is no oncoming traffic to dazzle. BTW I don't have a Formentor but a Leon but the same principle applies... and mine is new rather than just back from a service.

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
No, I do have to go back in the for the SOS panel to be replaced once they get a part in - which is on back order prob for months.

I wonder if the self levelling isn't working as it definitely feels different. I keep meaning to look if there is a fuse on the self levelling part of the lamp. When they had my car in they looked at fuse box as my USB-C in the rear weren't working.

Reactions: drmrbrewer
Apr 12, 2024
Check that the headlight lenses / reflectors actually tilt up when you switch the main beams on or ‘flash’ the main beam headlights (not to be confused with the dipped beams self levelling when switched on). I had my VZ2 from new in December and had this issue, not tilting up, along with the cornering lights not working. The dealer sorted the issue out, relatively straight forward, but said they hadn’t come across this issue before. I have since read numerous posts on various forums with cars having this exact issue.

Reactions: drmrbrewer