weird Engine noise!

-spook-

I have a cupra r 225, only 4 years old with about 37k. i've noticed a weird squeaking noise when ticking over, its not all the time just now and again, only last 4 a second if that then it will happen again after bout 30secs. can't hear anything when driving though. I have't driven the car 4 a while but it happend today while cueing for a car park, anyone got any ideas?

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
drive belt slipping, dodgy water pump, power steering pump, all signs which make a squealing/squeeking noise...

have a look at the drive belt and see if theres oil, fluid on it.

it will probably get worse if it is this.

ucchockey

Mar 9, 2008
lichfield
this happened on my tdi. turned out to be the bearings in the alternator. needed new alternator. as above though. check all belt tensions etc.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I have a squeeking too, how do you go about checking that the pulley bearings and tensioner is all good.
Is it a stethiscope jobbie or is there another way?

mrwookie

Big Daddy...
Mar 22, 2008
Cambs & Herts
Getting the covers off, car up on ramps and listening. Was quite obvious in the end where it was coming from in my case. Would have been a lot easier had I access to a stethiscope jobbie. My bro's a mechanic and he swears by it! :)

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
bearings are in the pulleys and check as you would a wheel bearing, see if theres any play in it.

check belt for oil, if it has oil on it its likely to be power steering pump/pipe leaking on the belt causing it to squeel