Went shopping yesterday...

agynjo

Morning all - newbie here :)

I've fancied an Altea for some time now, but didn't get round to driving one until yesterday. So, I popped into a dealer and test drove their ex-demonstrators.

1st car was a 05 plate 2.0 TDi sport in Platinum Grey with 17" alloys and barely run in. Really liked the look of the car, although it was a bit cheap in places (rusting hubs, cheap plastics inside). But overall it felt great - big, spacious, nice ride, snickety gearchange, and the engine had sooo much grunt. I can't believe the car is only group 8 insurance.

Next up was a similar car, but in Tinta Black and DSG box. It had done a few more miles, but you would never have known. It was my first experience of DSG, and it's an impressive bit of kit. I had a play with changing gears manually, and as novel as it was to feel like a mini-touring car racer, in practice I'd probably leave it in auto mode.

In the end, I felt the gearchange of the manual car was more than nice enough to live with, so I bought that one (plus it was 1k cheaper). Hope to pick up later this week. Can't wait......

Interested to read the thread about changing speakers - will have to see how bad they are before taking the plunge myself. From what I've read it seems you can change all four speaker without removing the complete door panels. Is this correct ?

Does anyone else have rusty hubs ? Is there anything that can be done ? The 17" wheels probably don't help I guess....

Later :whistle:

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
agynjo said:
Interested to read the thread about changing speakers - will have to see how bad they are before taking the plunge myself. From what I've read it seems you can change all four speaker without removing the complete door panels. Is this correct ?
Hi & congratulations :)
you probably mean this particular thread => Speakers for ALTEA ?
The four speakers you mention will then be the bass speakers and there's no need to remove complete door panels ... the tweeters in the door-openers will be a bit more of a hassle.
What sound-system :redface: is fitted in your new Altea?
If CD1, you'll only have to take care of 6 speakers, any other (CD2,CD3,Navi) will come with 8.

Enjoy ... Klaus

vwsurfbum

YOU'LL NEVER CATCH ME!!
Aug 10, 2005
essex
all hubs go rusty unless you really fancy taking them all off and painting them but it will be short lived. oh and
thwelcome021.gif

agynjo

Hi Klaus - I have no idea what sound system it is - it's just the standard single-slot CD. It doesn't have a multi-changer. :confused:

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
agynjo said:
... it's just the standard single-slot CD. It doesn't have a multi-changer. :confused:
Hi agynjo, don't worry CD1/2/3 all look alike in the dashboard ... and the multichanger is an additional option and not to be confused with the CD-drives itselves.

A good indicator for the type of CD-unit will be the steering wheel:

no remote control buttons => CD1
remote control without phone symbol => CD2
remote control incl. phone symbol => CD3 (Bluetooth)

Another spot where to identify will be the MP3-logo underneath the CD slot:

no logo => CD1 / CD2
logo "MP3" => CD2+MP3 / CD3

(btw. it wasn't untl the 2006 model that you would have the CD2/MP3 option)

Next to differ from is the Multi Function Display in the instruments panel:

small MFD => CD1 / CD2
large MFD => CD3 / Navi

Here some pictures to tell the differences ...

Hope you're not even more confused ...

Klaus

loadswine

loadswine
Welcome mate, the hubs don't go that rusty, it's only the odd spot and the 17" wheels give you great access for cleaning the hub and caliper areas if you want. Cleaning the wheels takes a bit longer, but it is worth it for that always new look.
Enjoy your car!! :D

agynjo

Thanks again Klaus ! Well........ (a) it has steering wheel controls, (b) it has a small display and (c) it was registered in July 2005, so from that I'm assuming it's CD2 !!

Will have a better look when I pick it up (hopefully this Friday - if it's not snowing !)

agynjo

Well, I picked up the Altea today, and had a nice relaxing 100 mile drive home again. 1st impressions ? I'm delighted with it :)

It only has 1500 miles on the clock, but pulls really well. Quick, quiet, comfy, spacious - really impressed. And I didn't realise it had cruise control until I started messing with it on a dual carriageway.

Negatives ? Steering is a bit vague and it was wandering a tiny bit at speed (it was windy though), and yes the speakers are sh@te !

Apart from that, I think it's an excellent bit of kit. Roll on tomorrow..... :D

Tell

Staff member
Well mine is like the one your drove with 17" wheel, plat grey but DSG and it knocks the spots off those people that try to keep up with you through multiple roundabout systems unless they are equally equiped with a DSG or just have a high power car. I'm amused by those people that hassle you and try to race one across a new town road system, I always beat them:). The poor things just can't cant keep up between gears with 0.1 of second gear changes, but if it gives them a butch feeling to feeling, a stick in their hand and something to grab and levers to press fine by me.... I always wave good bye and the TDI engine just needs those high revs to help bedd in:).

Tell

Staff member
klawit said:
Hi & congratulations :)
you probably mean this particular thread => Speakers for ALTEA ?
The four speakers you mention will then be the bass speakers and there's no need to remove complete door panels ... the tweeters in the door-openers will be a bit more of a hassle.
What sound-system :redface: is fitted in your new Altea?
If CD1, you'll only have to take care of 6 speakers, any other (CD2,CD3,Navi) will come with 8.

Enjoy ... Klaus

Ah your talking about my speaker project again:). Lovely sound:).

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.