What did you do with your Cupra today

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Gave it it's first wash and wax with Hydrophobic Wax (Hybrid synthetic sealants fused with Carnauba wax) that I had bought years ago for the 280 and never used.

P6010174A.JPG

Attachments

• P6010172A.JPG
    P6010172A.JPG
    708.3 KB · Views: 111
  • P6010173A.JPG
    P6010173A.JPG
    886 KB · Views: 115

Seastormer

Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Not today but yesterday, fixed my front reg plate back on as it had fallen off (due to extreme heat?) and was lying in my drive in front of car. This is the first time I have had plates stuck on, instead of good old fashioned screws, not impressed. Used 3M tape I had to fix back on, anyone else ever had this with stick on plates?

Last edited:

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Not today but yesterday, fixed my front reg plate back on as it had fallen off (due too extreme heat?) and was lying in my drive in front of car. This is the first time I have had plates stuck on, instead of good old fashioned screws, not impressed. Used 3M tape I had to fix back on, anyone else ever had this with stick on plates?
It's an obvious thing to say, but both surfaces have to be squeaky clean before applying the tape. I'm not sure how careful dealerships are in this regard when slapping the plates on at PDI.
I've had good results with 3M VHB ( Very High Bond) tape, but be aware there's a lot of fake stuff about on t'internet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tell and Seastormer

Tell

Staff member
Not today but yesterday, fixed my front reg plate back on as it had fallen off (due too extreme heat?) and was lying in my drive in front of car. This is the first time I have had plates stuck on, instead of good old fashioned screws, not impressed. Used 3M tape I had to fix back on, anyone else ever had this with stick on plates?
Had my ZX one glued on years ago and it had fell off when I returned back to the car from the tube. Somebody wedged it up on the wing mirror for me so I saw it before I drove off.

I always check whether they are going to be screwed on these days and ask for them to be screwed. They stick front and back on if you aren't carefull.

Reactions: Seastormer

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
It's an obvious thing to say, but both surfaces have to be squeaky clean before applying the tape. I'm not sure how careful dealerships are in this regard when slapping the plates on at PDI.
I've had good results with 3M VHB ( Very High Bond) tape, but be aware there's a lot of fake stuff about on t'internet.

Had my ZX one glued on years ago and it had fell off when I returned back to the car from the tube. Somebody wedged it up on the wing mirror for me so I saw it before I drove off.

I always check whether they are going to be screwed on these days and ask for them to be screwed. They stick front and back on if you aren't carefull.
Just as a heads up, I used this to secure my new number plates, works perfectly on the front with the dimpled number plate mount which is difficult to stick to.
Double Sided Acrylic Tape
I tried the tape supplied with the plates and the sides popped after a week due to the slight curve. The rear was fine BTW.

Reactions: Seastormer

Tell

Staff member
Just as a heads up, I used this to secure my new number plates, works perfectly on the front with the dimpled number plate mount which is difficult to stick to.
Double Sided Acrylic Tape
I tried the tape supplied with the plates and the sides popped after a week due to the slight curve. The rear was fine BTW.
In London people twong your bumpers when they park by feeling your car, so if your plate is part of the bumper and gets twonged your plate will fall even if taped I reckon. I think that's how I lost mine by the bumper method of parking. E.g.. ram front and back whilst spinning the wheel....

My Ateca got blessed with a 4WD rear wheel imprint which the body shop when I moved out of London diagnosed as a 4WD wheel mounted on the back of one rammed into it. Good body shop thou. Wild west street parking.

• Wow
Reactions: oldgitdave

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
In London people twong your bumpers when they park by feeling your car, so if your plate is part of the bumper and gets twonged your plate will fall even if taped I reckon. I think that's how I lost mine by the bumper method of parking. E.g.. ram front and back whilst spinning the wheel....

My Ateca got blessed with a 4WD rear wheel imprint which the body shop when I moved out of London diagnosed as a 4WD wheel mounted on the back of one rammed into it. Good body shop thou. Wild west street parking.
Well I knew about this parking method in Paris, didn't realise it was the same in London! I like my car to look perfect so any 'twonging' is well out of order imo.

Seastormer

Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)

I will be going back to the dealer and asking for them to be screwed on, thanks for that.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I will be going back to the dealer and asking for them to be screwed on, thanks for that.
Make sure they put them on straight! Or better still, do it yourself. My original plates were screwed on from new by the dealer and the rear one was on the skew. The holes they drilled into the rear bumper were at different heights and it wasn't possible to correct the tilt by redrilling above or below. I'd have gone mental if I'd bought the car from new like that! It stuck out a mile to me so when I put my own plates on I went the stick on route and got it spot on. I've never had an issue with using the sticky stuff I mentioned earlier. I used plenty of it on the front plate due to the plastic plate carrier and it's been fine.

Seastormer

Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Well yesterday went back to dealer (FIFE Cupra) and they fitted me a new Front reg plate with screws as it had came off again on Sun. The screws are now at both top corners as new rules have come in they say regarding position, rear was left as ok stuck on flat painted surface. happy again and car has had no errors on infotainment system either.:)

Reactions: Tell
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise