What is the offset or et of cupras?

jattjoka01

Dec 13, 2008
London
What is the Offset / et of cupras? and what is the ideal et/offest? I've always assumed any 4x100 stud pattern rims would fit!?

Myki da Pyki

Jul 15, 2007
Bristol
www.facebook.com
Cos your a newbie il gie you one free answer, only once can i and will i do it tho lol.

ET38 is the standard offset. The lower the number the further out it will sit in the arch and vice versa for higher the number

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
i'm guessing that a no lol

then you are absolutely guessing wrong.

didn't think myki's answer was very difficult...

Normal ET is 38 (mine were 37 btw :lol:) if you go for ET 25 then the rim will sit out further which on the mk3 cupra is really not a bad thing as the wheels sit in quite a bit, especially the rear.

Note though, this is only for a non lowered car. Obviously the further the wheel falls outwards (meaning lower ET) the less you can lower the car say on coilovers. Else the wheel arch will sit on top of the wheel which is obviously not good for either the tyre or arch...

Don't think I can explain this any better/easier

Last edited:

jattjoka01

Dec 13, 2008
London
yeah but wudnt a 9inch wide wheel be naturally lower offset? so how could you get a wheel thats 9 inch with higher offset? its still going to be the same width the wheel ? or am i wrong?

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
You want to go for a higher number offset if you want to fit 9" wide wheels. You will struggle to turn if you do as well I would think.

what?? :confused:

I just explained, the higher the ET the more it goes inside the arch!!!

that means if you get a 9" wheel you get a LOWER!!!! ET value. Else you'll be hitting you're suspension and can't make turns without scrubbing all over!

what?? :confused:

I just explained, the higher the ET the more it goes inside the arch!!!

that means if you get a 9" wheel you get a LOWER!!!! ET value. Else you'll be hitting you're suspension and can't make turns without scrubbing all over!

With 9" wheels though you will be lucky if you can fit leaving enough room for the suspension/steering components without the wheels hanging past the arches.

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
You're both kind of right, but looking at the problem from different directions. As offset is measured to the middle of the width of the wheel (as is track), as the wheels get wider, you need to decrease the ET so the inside edge of the tyre clears the suspension and steering. The downside of this is that it means that the wheel will stick out of the arch that bit further - and a wheel that sticks out further than the bodywork will not generally be looked upon sympathetically by an MOT man. So you'd be getting into the realms of having the arches pulled of wheelarch extensions.