What more can go wrong ???

kernboy

I'm new to all this so please be patient ;)

I have a 2008 Seat Altea XL for a few years which has started to die slowly on me.
Three things have gone over the last month.

1) The AC control -The fan only came on at position 4 for a week then it stopped altogether.
2) The front passenger window started making a noise and now won't go up or down.
3) The ESP warning light is on continually...

I brought the car to a mechanic who has told me the window needs a new regulator as does the fan control.
I've to bring the car back to investigate the ESP fault again with further diagnostics, I'll leave that to him to sort out. :confused:

Now I've had a read on this forum and others and it sounds like the windows could be fixed with new guide wires but I'd like to see if I could DIY it myself (I work in IT, I don't like not really knowing what's broken), if its a new regulator or guide wires then I wouldn't mind giving it a try. The only problem is I can't find diagrams of how to get the door panel off to take a look, is the only way to get one to pay for a manual ? :blink:

The mechanic replaced the fan regulator with a second hand one he had but it's starting to show signs of problems so I may just need to buy a new one instead but again I wouldn't mind trying to fit it myself.

Can anyone give me a bit of advice on the windows and fan issues and possibly point me in the right direction for diagrams of how to get stuck in ?

I did find a post on here, "Removing MK5 Ibiza front door trim", which someone suggested could be used on the Altea but I haven't had the chance to take a look at it in detail yet.

Any help would be great.
Thanks Kevin

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
Welcome :D

Fixing the window problem yourself relies on you being pretty competent at dismantling reasonably complex things and putting them back together where they should be :). My wires broke, me and my mate stripped several layers away to see inside, then we gave up as we decided it wasn't worth the risk of going any further, I seem to remember you have to start taking the lock out (which we didn't), it ended up costing £150 at a dealer, which is a complete rip off but I felt it wasn't worth me saving probably half that to mess it up. By the way, my mate is a towbar fitter who regularly takes off bumpers/trims/feeds wires etc and he wasn't happy going any further.

Hope that helps you on that problem.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
ESP light could be a num,ber of things. Youy really need to hook up to vagcom to get fault codes (and reset)
1. The Teves MK60 ABS/ESP problem - do a search on forum. Plenty written. New unit about £400 I believe.
2. Could be steering parameters in ecu have thrown a wobbly (its an eletric power steering system which is variable and has sensors)

Deleted member 54479

Glad you got the window sorted though £150 is steep. My drivers window went the same way and l had a look but resorted to my local garage who charged around £100. The mechanic who sorted it appeared with skinned and bleeding knuckles saying it was a b*s*ard of a job. so it actually seemed value for money! Apparently its a common problem caused by poor quality VAG parts. The steel wire isn't protected in any way and rusts like a ford, oops can l say that????:whistle::whistle:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.