What Octane of Fuel to Use in TSI Engines? Seat Ibiza MK 5 FR 1.2TSi

JAM11E

Nov 16, 2012
I saw a gain in my 1.0l corsa on mileage plus it sounded so much smoother too !

I find it impossible you found a gain on a probable 60bhp car.

I dont think the "extra milage" will justify the extra cost in fuel.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

JAM11E

Nov 16, 2012
You could fart and it would go faster

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I find it impossible you found a gain on a probable 60bhp car.

I dont think the "extra milage" will justify the extra cost in fuel.

I agree, you need a turbo engine and have it mapped for high octane to feel a gain (and be giving it some)

Otherwise it's just Placebo without a before/after dyno run :yes: The bum dyno is no way accurate enough to pick up on a 3-4 BHP gain.

Yes, the gain would Probably be that small on a stock 20VT 180 engine.

I have given it a good go in 2 stock 20VT cars myself.

Anyone who has a NA car with under 100BHP that says they can feel a gain...............................I don't believe you, sorry.
Also, if you're feeling the 20VT massive 3-4 BHP gain you're not getting better MPG because you're flooring it.

I didn't come down with the last shower of rain.

Last edited:

GraemeB

Sep 3, 2012
Monifieth, Angus
I can't believe this has gone on so long. As I said the handbook says it wants 95 RON and it can tolerate 91 RON with reduced power. To the best of my knowledge you can't buy 91 RON here so it's a moot point.If you are extra precious about your engine and think supermarket fuel is the devil's piss then stick to BP/Esso/Shell standard.

And for folk who can't be bothered to read the start of the thread this is referring to the 1.2 TSI not the 4.2 V8 in an RS4.

GraemeB

Sep 3, 2012
Monifieth, Angus
I agree, you need a turbo engine and have it mapped for high octane to feel a gain (and be giving it some)

Otherwise it's just Placebo without a before/after dyno run :yes: The bum dyno is no way accurate enough to pick up on a 3-4 BHP gain.

Yes, the gain would Probably be that small on a stock 20VT 180 engine.

I have given it a good go in 2 stock 20VT cars myself.

Anyone who has a NA car with under 100BHP that says they can feel a gain...............................I don't believe you, sorry.
Also, if you're feeling the 20VT massive 3-4 BHP gain you're not getting better MPG because you're flooring it.

I didn't come down with the last shower of rain.

Yup, I've owned an A4 1.8T quattro with the 180 bhp engine and it made next to no difference.

Ben-ibizaFR

Sep 23, 2012
Preston
Loving the "experts" in here lol.

+1 that. Listen guys im just reporting on my experiences. In my corsa. The fuel went further when it was super unleaded type. In my FR I've not used anything other than.

I think its about reading other peoples recomendations and reasons. Then making up your own mind, about what fuel you want to pay for :)

Feb 8, 2011
Let's look at this from a different aspect.

The maker wants the car to give the best possible results in the official mpg test, after all everyone says they go to endless trouble to get a good figure here.

The test is done with the recomended fuel, which for the 1.2 TSI is 95 RON.

If 98 or 99 RON gave better economy then they would surely do the test with this and claim a better figure.

The maker wants the car to show the best result for max speed, acceleration and engine power and if these were better with 98 or 99 RON then they would use it.

But they don't say use 98 or 99 RON; they say use 95 RON.
Conclusion, there's no point using anything of higher octane than 95.

Last edited:

medview

Apr 23, 2012
98 Ron, what for?

Hi All
I did my own testing with high octane fuel in my 1.2TSI (61) and decided that there was no appreciable gain to either fuel economy or performance; it simply increases running costs.
I did my testing in cold weather, perhaps summer is different?

The VW performance data and graphs do not go above 95 RON for the 1.2TSI.

Even the idle quality remained unchanged. My gut feeling is that VW don't want this engine to deliver more power...

I will still very occasionally run a tank of 97 thru the engine mainly for the cleaning effects.

Joe

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
Let's look at this from a different aspect.

The maker wants the car to give the best possible results in the official mpg test, after all everyone says they go to endless trouble to get a good figure here.

The test is done with the recomended fuel, which for the 1.2 TSI is 95 RON.

If 98 or 99 RON gave better economy then they would surely do the test with this and claim a better figure.

The maker wants the car to show the best result for max speed, acceleration and engine power and if these were better with 98 or 99 RON then they would use it.

But they don't say use 98 or 99 RON; they say use 95 RON.
Conclusion, there's no point using anything of higher octane than 95.

they use 99 RON in the MPG test sometimes, but have to make the cars use anything down to 89 RON and up to 102RON and then post what it is compatible with. However MPG test is hardly fair is most the time it is claimed without ever seeing it on the car.

The way the fuel gives better performance is on say a 1.4tsi It is designed to run on High octane fuel 98 - 99 RON it says on the petrol cap on some of them to use this fuel, it says in the hand book use 98 + or you will feels a decrease in power. Which is exactly what happens, Put a lower octane fuel into a 1.4TSI and it will retard the ignition timing to suit it thus reducing power output, and becoming a bit more laggy.

I laugh because a Corsa 1.0 does not have the ability to retard its timing automatically, so as said above it will be set to use 95 RON in Europe. Also when I bought my 1.0l Corsa brand spanking new as my first car fuel was 69p a litre, we did not care about mpg so much lol There are some cleaning effects of vpower so that you could be experiencing lost horses from a grubby engine, but a gain in power is not possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU35MkEThG0

Here ya go.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.