What to choose

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Depends what driving you are doing. The 170 DPF's aren't suited to short journeys!

goku52

Aug 28, 2009
Around 40miles day sometimes more i did have an fr a few years back and loved it but is it really worth the extra premium insurance for not much faster speed and performance lol

Oh bugger i'm confused lol

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
Around 40miles day sometimes more i did have an fr a few years back and loved it but is it really worth the extra premium insurance for not much faster speed and performance lol

Oh bugger i'm confused lol

In standard form... maybe not. Although in saying that i changed my reference Sport to an FR after barely a month as I started to prefer the more aggresive looks of the FR bumpers and I must say the interior is far nicer, especially the FR bucket style front seats...

Performance wise, there is a noticable difference IMO but once you go remap and DPF delete on the FR the difference will be huge! ;)

I say choose the FR!

Coops993

Dec 4, 2010
Performance wise, there is a noticable difference IMO but once you go remap and DPF delete on the FR the difference will be huge! ;)

I say choose the FR!

You say that but surely you should compare a remapped FR to a remapped Reference Sport, I suspect the difference wouldn't be as huge again, although I have no experience to refer to

FR_Flavoured

...which costs how much much? A remap is about £500 on its own, then a DPF delete!? :eek:

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
...which costs how much much? A remap is about £500 on its own, then a DPF delete!? :eek:

Remap ~£300 and DPF delete pipe ~£280 give or take...

above combo offering +40bhp & +100lb/ft (very approx as i cant honestly remember my standard figures)

Edit: above statement refers to my own, others will see better/less gains depending on too many variables to list...

Remap on a Sport will probably give you 190bhp at best (bare in mind a 140PD could be in excess of 150bhp as standard) and maybe around 300lb/ft?? So not very exciting gains. Well, in the sense that you still have a car which may only perform slightly better than a good going, standard FR that is...

You'd need to go down the hybrid turbo route with the Sport and that takes you into greater money than tuning the FR...

Swings and roundabouts at the end of the day, I still stick by my original suggestion :D

Last edited:

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
You say that but surely you should compare a remapped FR to a remapped Reference Sport, I suspect the difference wouldn't be as huge again, although I have no experience to refer to

See my above post and also, a mapped but not DPF deleted FR driver, who was thinking of the DPF delete had a few runs against mine before he made up his mind...

Let's just say the man now has a stage 2 DPF delete :whistle:

switch the remapped FR with no DPF delete for the remapped sport, you have your comparison IMO :)

FR_Flavoured

Remap ~£300 and DPF delete pipe ~£280 give or take...

Very informative post. :)
Can I ask where you might find a remap for an FR only costing £300?

I've done a fair amount of research, for my own FR, the "cheapest" I've found is approx £450 + vat to step up to a mild Stage 1. :shrug:

I have a service at the dealer quite soon, and I'm very tempted to ask for a demo in a Cupra, just to see what I might be missing out on, compared to my FR (although I know I wont be able to truely put my foot down on a test drive). lol.

Coops993

Dec 4, 2010
Remap on a Sport will probably give you 190bhp at best (bare in mind a 140PD could be in excess of 150bhp as standard) and maybe around 300lb/ft?? So not very exciting gains. Well, in the sense that you still have a car which may only perform slightly better than a good going, standard FR that is...

Everything else aside, i'm very interested to learn a remap could get my Reference Sport upto 190, will definately be looking at that when the warranty runs out in 12 months time.

Mar 25, 2008

I've done a fair amount of research, for my own FR, the "cheapest" I've found is approx £450 + vat to step up to a mild Stage 1. :shrug:

I have a service at the dealer quite soon, and I'm very tempted to ask for a demo in a Cupra, just to see what I might be missing out on, compared to my FR (although I know I wont be able to truely put my foot down on a test drive). lol.

http://www.angeltuning.co.uk/engine-remap/seat-diesel-car-tuning.aspx

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland

That's a mental price for a stage 1 map! I wouldn't be even entertaining that... :blink:

For my initial map which needed fine tuned and the DPF off settings I paid £200

Once the DPF off settings were available and the map was fine tuned to sqeeze out a bit more bhp and a hefty amount of torque, a further £100 was handed over and away I went with a big grin on my face! :D

I often wonder about the Cupra but since my car is still being paid off, I have settled for waiting until I own it outright then selling up and placing a deposit on an S3. Well that is the plan anyway... :drool:

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
Everything else aside, i'm very interested to learn a remap could get my Reference Sport upto 190, will definately be looking at that when the warranty runs out in 12 months time.

Don't be taking that as gospel mate, thats at a guess for illustration purposes only. Ever sport will be different as will ever tuner and their map. I say 190bhp but you should probably read 175-200bhp.

All depends on what is generally thought of as "safe" and how that's balanced against what you, the customer, wants from the map. Are you prepared to risk reliability? I've heard horror stories relating to the 140PD lump and involving turbo's going boom...

Be sure to thoroughly research everything you can before making any rash decisions :)

Last edited:

FR_Flavoured

That's a mental price for a stage 1 map! I wouldn't be even entertaining that... :blink:

For my initial map which needed fine tuned and the DPF off settings I paid £200

Once the DPF off settings were available and the map was fine tuned to sqeeze out a bit more bhp and a hefty amount of torque, a further £100 was handed over and away I went with a big grin on my face! :D

I often wonder about the Cupra but since my car is still being paid off, I have settled for waiting until I own it outright then selling up and placing a deposit on an S3. Well that is the plan anyway... :drool:

So can I ask where you went for your Remap then, the prices almost seem TOO cheap (compared to what Ive been seeing). :D

...Crazy it may sound, but I am also starting to want a Leon FR/Cupra........ that is NOT Black (as the other colours I think show off the lines better).

Your White FR would suit me just fine!!! You've done a GREAT job, tasteful subtle mods, looks fantastic ! :drool:

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
So can I ask where you went for your Remap then, the prices almost seem TOO cheap (compared to what Ive been seeing). :D

...Crazy it may sound, but I am also starting to want a Leon FR/Cupra........ that is NOT Black (as the other colours I think show off the lines better).

Your White FR would suit me just fine!!! You've done a GREAT job, tasteful subtle mods, looks fantastic ! :drool:

Thank you! :D The white is hard to beat, although black is stunning when polished, glazed and waxed! :drool:

I had my FR tuned here in Northern Ireland mate, so for the price it would take to come over, there would be no benefit for you I would think.

Mar 25, 2008
Thankyou for the link, I've taken a look at their site... promising (as in financially more viable)! :D
So would they be using their own special ECU programs, or do you think the programs they 'install' might be cloned Revo etc?

Anyone had an Angel Tuning map - feedback greatly appreciated. :)

Quite a few guys on here have them. My old FR had one. It was great, never had any problems with it.

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
I had the same issue as yourself... Ended up going for the Sport with Aero Kit as i prefered the looks of this.

Insurance is also a fair wack cheaper (for myself anyway)

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
In standard form... maybe not. Although in saying that i changed my reference Sport to an FR after barely a month as I started to prefer the more aggresive looks of the FR bumpers and I must say the interior is far nicer, especially the FR bucket style front seats...

I say choose the FR!

If you owned a reference sport previously, you should already know the seats in that model and the FR are the same style.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.