whats cat d mean

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
D - Repairable salvage. Minimal damage sometimes stolen and found after claim has been paid, or cost of repair combined with difficulty obtaining new parts to enable a swift repair.

bear in mind that the quota is somewhat open to interpretation

just look at a few salvage yard sales at the slight! damage on offer - pmsl

here's 2 bad examples

Cat D Front

Cat D Rear

there's some almost clean examples also D listed stolen recovered

Look for yourself here

as you can see - from mild :thumbup: to wild :-o as usual despite the industry standardisation - SUX huh

other lists state cat D as :

Vehicle damaged and insurer has decided not to repair

Vehicles replaced under "new for old" schemes (say 50% damage) which would not otherwise have been treated as total losses.

Vehicles which could be repaired by insurer but written off to minimise hire charges, ect

Constructive total loss - the insurer has declined to repair vehicle due to other reasons (not necessarly related to the amount of damage sustained)

blah blah de blah

Last edited:

Copper Cupra

Dec 16, 2002
Exeter
Are you asking cause of the Cordoba 16v on Ebay which is Cat-D? Doesn't look too bad, wings are still straight, air-bags aren't popped! bonnet isn't too bad either! Looks an okay buy, but what is the reserve?

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Copper Cupra said:
Are you asking cause of the Cordoba 16v on Ebay which is Cat-D? Doesn't look too bad, wings are still straight, air-bags aren't popped! bonnet isn't too bad either! Looks an okay buy, but what is the reserve?

I was about to say the same thing!

This was my talk of SCN chat last night :)

stevoibizacupra

Mar 22, 2007
Bath
blast from the past opening this thread up again..!
iv just bought a mk3 cupra which was slightly damaged (cat D), jsut had new froont bumper and front wing, no chassis damage at all and professionally repaired to A1 condition, now idiot boy here goes and tells direct line who sed it would be fine to insure it, (im only 21 on dads insureance) and they want an engineers report, i got a brief outline written up of what was done which i thought would be perfectly adequate, and they have denied me saying its not good enough,, what could they want?

has anyone else had to get one of these engineers reports ??

cheers
steve

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
If it's not on the V5, keep schtum

I'd be tempted to keep quiet about it even if it is on the reg. docs

Try ringing them again, and say you'd made a mistake - the Cat D Ibiza was one you went to have a look at, but decided it was too expensive so you've bought a straight one instead ;)

stevoibizacupra

Mar 22, 2007
Bath
me and my big stupid mouth!

i onyl wnt and told them the reg number didnt i.. theyve got it on my policy notes now!!
wil try again tommorw and see how I get on.

cheers,
steve

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise