Whats needed to fit aftermarket stereos ?

SNAP-ON

May 24, 2009
I want to change the crap oem headunit in my 04 altea tdi for an aftermarket double din such as jvc,pioneer,kenwood,alpine etc with a budget of £150 if possible . My question is what will i need other then the headunit itself ? Wiring , fitting kit, facia plate etc ?
I want to keep the steering wheel controls to and take it that fitting a vw headunit requires some can gateway thing ? If anyone knows whats needed can you post links to parts i need ? Cheers

ritch_b

Jul 27, 2012
Oop north
If you're going aftermarket, you'll need a CANBUS connector to get the steering wheel controls working, although just what you'll need will depend on what head unit you're looking at fitting; a Kenwood connector won't work on an Alpine and so on. You may actually find that *some* head units come with a connector or support CANBUS out of the box, but they're going to be in a minority. You may also find that even with the right connector for your head unit, some of the buttons still won't work; that's down to the head unit again.

Wiring harness will be the same and will depend on the head unit you end up with, but you'll most likely need something that converts your head unit's ISO block to the Seat's factory wiring; Connects2 do these on eBay for about a tenner.

Again, the fascia surround you'll need will depend on the head unit; there's a theme emerging here! Two types of surround are available; one for head units with square edges (most aftermarket head units are this sort) and another for OEM head units or aftermarket head units that are designed to look stock (Zenec are the most common of these). Once you've decided on a head unit, you'll be able to order the relevant surround in the correct colour from your dealer; Sere Motors do mail order and I, along with a lot of others on here, would recommend them for price and service. The proper Seat surround also requires about a dozen small metal clips to hold it in place; again, your dealer can advise. Aftermarket surrounds are available (Autoleads do them for one) but they're not really any cheaper and I'd stick with the Seat one for a decent fit and colour match.

Only other thing would possibly be an aerial adaptor but, you've guessed it, that depends on the head unit!

If you're going with a genuine VAG head unit rather than an aftermarket one, many will just plug and play, including the steering wheel controls, but some will require tinkering with the CANBUS; I'm not too familiar with that bit though, so somebody else will be indefinitely better placed than I to comment!

R.

SNAP-ON

May 24, 2009
Omg what a load of hassle just to replace the standard headunit ? Ok so how about the alpine cdew233r double din as can get for £100 new ? What lead would fully work with that ? I can get surround and clips at trade price from my local tps . All i wanna do is plug and play lol

Mao

Apr 27, 2010
Birmingham
I fitted that stereo to my 2004 altea but the slightly more expensive one with bluetooth. Its a right pain in the arse, wires everywhere! Finally managed to get the steering controls to work but it was a serious headache!

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
Omg what a load of hassle just to replace the standard headunit ? Ok so how about the alpine cdew233r double din as can get for £100 new ? What lead would fully work with that ? I can get surround and clips at trade price from my local tps . All i wanna do is plug and play lol

you will need the connects 2 with an alpine remote wire , that plugs in the back of your head unit your sorted plus you will need an antenna amplifier & a degree in turkey stuffing to get all the wires in the dash

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise