Whats that noise!

POB

Going nowhere slowly...
Feb 12, 2008
Newtownards, County Down
Ive a 2007 140bhp allyhambra and recently I am hearing a 'high pitched' gurgling sound from around the passenger side bulk head when the car is idling stationary. When the car is moving the noise seems to disappear. It doesnt seem to be the heater as I've switched it off but noise still occurs. Anyone any ideas before I take it down the local incompetent dealership!
Cheers
POB

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Initially I was thinking aircon system, but then you say its not heater related. Even when my air con is turned off you get the odd strange sounds as flaps shut and vents re-adjust themselves.

Is the fusebox on that side of the car? Maybe it's a dodgy fuel pump relay as they can make a horrible high pitched noise if they are defective.

Emily's dad

Mine makes a little whirring noise from the same location.
It apparently is nothing to worry about. It is a pump of some description that continues to work even after engine is switched.
I appreciate that I haven't given much detail in this answer as I can't remember the full ins and outs. I'll try and search to find the answer it was on this or another Alhambra/Galaxy forum that I looked on.

I'm prepared to be proved wrong if someone had better knowledge than I (won't be difficult)

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The fuel pump for the secondary heater (located near the fuel tank under the vehicle) could be to blame and this is what EMILYS DAD is reffering to. There is aparently a sound deadening kit available from seat but i had one with a this sort of noise recently and i replaced the pump and the customer seemed happy. try putting the passenger side seat right forward and put you head under it and see if its louder down there.
Hope that helps

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.