Which Gearbox for a Cupra?

Whats Gearbox on a Cupra?

• Total voters

Deathjam

Aug 24, 2015
Leeds-ish
I've always had manual cars, i have a manual fr 1.4 150 now.
Looking a getting a Cupra at some point, was going to be in November, but i don't know now if to wait for the facelift or not.

The only auto I've driven was a crappy Hyundai i10 courtesy car, while i know that would be nothing like the Cupra's dsg i can see the benefit of auto when in traffic, but i'm wondering if you loose any of the feels when driving down twisty country roads (which is about half of my daily commute ).

i know i should really go for a test drive, but just wondering what everyone else's view is

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
I went from a manual Cupra 165 Ibiza to a DSG Cupra mk5 ibiza. At first I felt the dsg took away from the fun. The flappy paddles brought it back to some extent it's great that you don't have to take your hands off the wheel.
The DSG is also much faster at gear changes.
What I didn't like about it was the fact it could kick down mid corner, it would change up automatically even in a manual and sport would Rev far too high.

I've now got a 265 manual cupra. I miss the DSG in traffic and its faster in a sprint but when out on the open road having full control, blipping on down changes. I do love manual hands on feeling.
If I had the choice again.. I really don't know. It's a tough one.. Perhaps DSG.

Last edited:

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
After years of manual cars I got my first DSG Biza twincharger back in 2010. Since then I have had two more DSG boxes and would not want a manual now that i have got used to the different driving style. Quicker, cleaner, lower tax group and no more missed gears.

Last edited:

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
It's entirely person preference. You have to drive both.

The DSG is a superb gearbox and I had it on my stage 1 edition 30 (REVO stage 2 on DSG). Lightning quick gear changes it really is the best auto box out there. I've had my dads m235i for a couple of months too and that was auto, that too is a brilliant box. They're so easy to drive and no clutch to worry about in traffic. Kick down works well so you've always got that power waiting.

After all that you'll be expecting to tell you that my cupra is DSG? You'd be wrong... I've ordered manual, not because of availability or price, but because there were too many occasions I wished I had a clutch and a proper gearstick. I personally feel more 'attached' to the car in a manual and therefore more in control of it, more fun. Yes you can go a bit faster in a DSG, but for me a manual gives me more smiles than a DSG. I wouldn't rule one out in the future, but for now a manual is where my heart lies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daz68

Apr 18, 2002
Somewhere up north
My current car is my first automatic. I've driven a few in the US on holiday but nothing like a Cupra 290 DSG. I personally love it but as Seastormer said it is a different style of driving, and you have to adjust to the fact that the car is always in control. It is bloody clever though, and changes down when it knows you're looking for more acceleration.

I can understand why some don't like it so I would recommend you take your own advice and have a test drive see if it suits you.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I personally feel more 'attached' to the car in a manual and therefore more in control of it, more fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% argee with this..... A manual gearbox is a mans gearbox! Autos should just be for americans and amputees etc

Last edited:

YerMaw

Jul 4, 2016
Fully agree that a manual gives you more control. However, I've ordered a DSG this time as I have a few issues with my Golf Rs manual which I believe are the same on the Cupra. Firstly the pedal height and the top mounted accelerator means heel toe is virtually impossible. To rev match you're better double clutching and I'm rubbish at that. Second, the fuel cut when the brake pedal is pressed at the same time as the accelerator kills any left foot braking driving. Third, the gearing is quite short so you need 3rd gear to hit 60 from launch. Basically this means you've got no chance of getting the claimed 0-60. Finally, the max torque rating for the clutch seems to be dangerously close to the standard power. The DSG can definitely handle more.

The manual box is actually pretty decent despite these things. It's a bit light on the shift and notchy between first and second but it's a better manual box than many a car has now a days.

Xpo

May 7, 2016
Sweden
I had dsg on my last car (Golf mkv) then also dsg on my Cupra 280 and wont ever go back to manual. Yes it has it's flaws in auto and sport mode, but for spirited driving it's manual mode all the way.
I did try a Golf mk7 gti with stick before i got the Cupra. And it's a really good box and the added connection to the car feels great, but often sitting in traffic jams in the city...nah dsg is nice to have.
Only wish it came with bigger and sturdier paddles.