Whine when driving, dependant on speed

Sep 13, 2020
I have a problem in my 2019 Leon. It's a really loud whing/whirring noise. It's dependent on speed and above 90km/h it's extremely loud, I've included a sound sample below but it's very quiet compared to real life. The noise is a lot louder in the back than front. The clip is going from 90km/h to 70 and back up ~90.

Over the last few months the noise has become louder.

If it's simply tyre noise I can probably live with it until next season, but I could fear it might be a wheel bearing or similar as it has become louder in a short time. No shaking, no weird sound when turning.

Reactions: x11r

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If you jack the rear of the car up and spin the wheel, you might either feel some roughness or slight noises on one side only.

I'm having this problem with my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI which has run 39K miles, in my case, I think that it is coming from the front, and spinning the front wheels to try to hear if there are any noises is not really an option unless I remove each drive shaft.

Modern wheel bearings do not normally start becoming loose and allow you to work out which wheel is causing trouble by rocking the wheel, which is annoying.

All I've worked out so far is that after a 50 mile journey, the LHS front wheel is 5C hotter than the RHS front wheel - but there again, maybe the LHS front brake might be more effective than the RHS front one, although there is no feeling of the steering wheel pulling to one side.

The rear hubs can be swopped for new ones, the fronts normally need a proper Gen 2 pulling/pressing kit to swop them over.

Edit:- I hoped that it was my winter wheel/tyres, but changing to summer wheels/tyres did not change the noise level by much, then I found that a front subframe bolt had sheared so got the car "four wheel aligned" - still noisy although it vanishes at over 65MPH! I know that it will not resolve itself, I'm just considering my options including buying 2 front hubs with SKF or FAG bearings fitted and a DIYer quality Gen2 kit of bits!

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
If you jack the rear of the car up and spin the wheel, you might either feel some roughness or slight noises on one side only.

I'm having this problem with my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI which has run 39K miles, in my case, I think that it is coming from the front, and spinning the front wheels to try to hear if there are any noises is not really an option unless I remove each drive shaft.

Modern wheel bearings do not normally start becoming loose and allow you to work out which wheel is causing trouble by rocking the wheel, which is annoying.

All I've worked out so far is that after a 50 mile journey, the LHS front wheel is 5C hotter than the RHS front wheel - but there again, maybe the LHS front brake might be more effective than the RHS front one, although there is no feeling of the steering wheel pulling to one side.

The rear hubs can be swopped for new ones, the fronts normally need a proper Gen 2 pulling/pressing kit to swop them over.

Edit:- I hoped that it was my winter wheel/tyres, but changing to summer wheels/tyres did not change the noise level by much, then I found that a front subframe bolt had sheared so got the car "four wheel aligned" - still noisy although it vanishes at over 65MPH! I know that it will not resolve itself, I'm just considering my options including buying 2 front hubs with SKF or FAG bearings fitted and a DIYer quality Gen2 kit of bits!
The front hubs (Leon) are Gen3 and do not require any pulling/pressing. Just unbolting. The driveshaft obviously makes this more difficult.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise