whining down with revs (AUQ) (with video)

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
Morning,

For a month or so i've noticed a loud whining sound coming from my engine. It occurs when (for example but not limited to it...) out of gear, rev the engine to 4-5000 revs and let off. As the engine comes back to idle it makes a loud whirring sound starting loud and high pitched and getting quieter until the revs settle to idle and it, in turn goes away. It can be heard when booting it in first but it seems to be only when the revs are falling quckly.
I parked next to a mates LCR and tried to mimic it but he's doesnt do it anywhere near as loudly as mine.

It sounds to be coming from the main block area... maybe. but its hard to tell.

Any thoughts?

oh and i've just had the cambelt done and it did it before and it does it now so i doubt its that.

Last edited:

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Morning,

For a month or so i've noticed a loud whining sound coming from my engine. It occurs when (for example but not limited to it...) out of gear, rev the engine to 4-5000 revs and let off. As the engine comes back to idle it makes a loud whirring sound starting loud and high pitched and getting quieter until the revs settle to idle and it, in turn goes away. It can be heard when booting it in first but it seems to be only when the revs are falling quckly.
I parked next to a mates LCR and tried to mimic it but he's doesnt do it anywhere near as loudly as mine.

It sounds to be coming from the main block area... maybe. but its hard to tell.

Any thoughts?

oh and i've just had the cambelt done and it did it before and it does it now so i doubt its that.

Heat shields resonating?

CAT?

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
pretty much had the same for a few months now...

im narrowing mine down to exhaust manny or dp gasket, mine seems to be coming from rear of block, and i have a high pitched noise on boost. the whining on mine happens when on revs, but dissapears on boost.

doesnt seem to do it when cruising either, just in lower gears.

olliep

Wants a mk2 GTI
Oct 3, 2005
Winchester
fun times. any other suggestions welcome. at least that way I can get it in and save some time investigating it

evokid

Aug 28, 2009
I agree sounds like bearing whirr, either alternator - Or timing belt too tight! (depending when it was changed? Although they are auto adjusting arent they? :)
So would guess alternator bearing? Should be ok to run for few seconds with belt off...I would imagine?

thegooner

Oct 14, 2009
car will run without auxi/drive (used to just be called a fan)belt for a while as long as you swich off all as many electrical items as possible as all power will come from the battery rather than the altinator

x3 on a bearing

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.