White Smoke

4-candles

May 27, 2006
Kent
I have 2.0TDI. When starting there is a small puff of Whitish smoke from the Exhaust. Is this normal (my first diesel !).

Its done 9000 miles and just had first service.

Thanks.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Diesels can puf out a bit of smoke. Its totally random. White smoke tends to indicate partially or unburnt oil though which could be diesel or could be engine oil.
If its engine oil, it could be turbo seal. Unlikely on your low milage though.
Does it come out anyother time? Any puffs/clouds of black/sooty smoke?

4-candles

May 27, 2006
Kent
Only a quick puff of white on first start, then runs clean. IF you boot it in 1st/2nd on the turbo you get the normal burst of black smoke, but otherwise runs clean.

redlockrasta

2007 Altea XL 2.0 TDI Stylance
Mar 31, 2010
Warwickshire
I spent a while researching diesel smoke when I first got my car and have come to the conclusion that it is good practice to boot the car when the engine is warm to burn off the soot that builds up over time. In the interest of safety make sure that you look out the front when you boot your 2.0 TDI.

I look at smoke to see how an engine is running but it is only a rough guide as additional checks are used to identify an actual problem:

blue smoke = burning oil
black smoke = burning diesel
white smoke = head gasket (water) or turbo on the way out.

4-candles

May 27, 2006
Kent
I do, but the wife drives most of the time, so she may be forgetting. I will remind her.
I will also give it some down the Motorway next time i am allowed in it !! (it does do mostly town driving)

redlockrasta

2007 Altea XL 2.0 TDI Stylance
Mar 31, 2010
Warwickshire
Some believe that the TDI decides to release the soot particles when the engine has reached the right moment because the particles burn cleaner at a higher temperatures. It is also great when this happens while being tail-gated by a Range Rover :whistle:

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.