Who's got 190hp out of a 1.2?

mealexme

Jun 10, 2019
So, I've scoured the forums (this one, the skoda forums and facebook) for info and there seems to be a bit of conflicting information and unanswered questions and I was hoping someone that has already done it will have the answers.

I've seen it's possible to get 190hp out of these engines with a turbo swap from the 1.4, with an induction kit, modified exhaust and a remap. (I'd rather just buy a 1.4, but depending on the mods, modding my current 1.2 may be a lot cheaper).

The main thing I want to pick your brains on are:
Instead of an induction kit and modified exhaust, could I get away with the stock air filter set up and exhaust from the 1.4? I want it to look and sound as stock as possible because I don't believe 190hp is enough to shout about. Also, I'll save some money buying these second hand.

Will the clutch and gearbox be ok with that amount of power? Some people have said they will be fine, others have said they will fail.

Lastly, I remember an old neighbor years ago with a modified Renault 5 and he mentioned having a dial where he could change the power of the turbo. Would it be possible to fit something like that so I could tune it down a bit for daily driving, but still have that power available when I want it so I'm at less risk of destroying something in the long run?

I've never modified a car before as I've been into bikes for the last 12 years and never felt the need to make them any faster. This year I'll be selling it and the money going on modifications, so any advice or pointing in the right direction will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members