Window Washer

Dove

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help me on this please?

My passenger side screenwash jet has stopped working. I've stried the usual method of cleaning (pins and the like!) but no joy.

I searched on here and checked there's no screenwash coming out the bottom of the car when I pull to put it on and It sounds like the motor is still whirring. I've been under the bonnet but it looks (to me!) to be quite a big job to get access to the tube. Is there anything else I should be checking before I need to visit the garage!?

BTW, just replaced my wipers as well.......went in to halfords to get the replacement rubber for the rear and I noticed they could specially order the Bosch front ones. Went over to the parts desk to get a price.........wait for it....................£95.00 :-o Needless to say I didn't bother!

Cheers!

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
My passenger side screenwash jet has stopped working. I've stried the usual method of cleaning (pins and the like!) but no joy.
Hi Dove,

just wondering if temperatures are still (far) below freezing point over at yours?
(Had another issue here with the aircon the other day)

I'm mentioning this, as it happened to me a couple of days ago, when over here in Germany there were -10°C and only the left front washer (driver's side for me owning a LHD) wasn't spraying any more (this happened half way on a 1 hours drive, the car itself was running on normal temperature) ... thou frost protection was checked and the right side and rear wiper washers worked perfectly.

It proved to be just a frozen nozzle ... those special kind of fan nozzles appear to be more prone to flash-freezing ... and another thing I assume, is that the left nozzle being further away in terms of water delivery (the tubes run from right to left along the bonnet) is therefore more likely to get icy water.

greets ... Klaus

PS:
Needless to say: The above explanation only refers to those cars without heated front nozzles ... ;)

Last edited:

Dove

HI Klawit,

Thanks for your reply.

Yep, the temperature dropped to about -4 or so last night although it's not been working for the last 2-3 days and it's been quite mild (been holding off posting until I had a chance to check the things I mentioned below).

Your right in saying it's the left hand nozzle so it's further away for water delivery, thats why I was looking to see if I could get easy access to the tube to see if it's ok...or not!

Cheers!

Dove

Hi,

Sorry for resurrecting this slighty old thread.

Took the bull by the horns yesterday and with a lot of help from my mate had a go at sorting this. We (eventually!) got access to the tube that connects to the washer. The tube itself was clear, the problem seemed to be with a white plastic conector about a third of the way along the tube.

We thought initially that this was just a connector but on removing (and partially breaking it!) it turned out to be a small valve (or similar) with a spring, ball bearing and tiny washer inside.

I think my problem must have been that this had siezed and wasn't allowing any water through. Anyways, we put it back together (with the help of some electrical tape!) and the washer is now working again although not at the same pressure/fan arrangement as before.

I can live with it at the mo but will need to get it sorted soon. Does anyone know the part number for this? I assume it will be a full kit rather that just buying the length of tube with the valve attached?

Thanks again!!

Dove

cherryone

Dec 15, 2006
Don't laugh but i've used a domestic product called cilit bang (a limescale cleaner), to unblock a rear wash wipe nozzle, worked a treat !!

toledo399

Part number you require appears to be 5PO 955 481 Pressure Valve. Comes as a single unit. Not sure of price as my list is a little out of date but around £5+ looks likely. Interestingly this part appears for years up to 2006 but is missing on 2007 models. Maybe SEAT have done away with it for later models. In which case you may be able get away with a bridging piece and dispense with the valve.

Dove

Cheers for the quick reply's.

Thanks for the part no toledo399....thats a great help.

I'll call the local dealer later for a price.

Cheers again.

Dove

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
You may have affected the nozzle when you tried cleaning it with a pin etc, which may be why you're not getting the correct 'fan' of spray onto your windscreen.

The 'valve' will probably be a non-return valve, preventing the water from draining back down into the washer bottle.

With regards the wipers, pop down to the Seremotors seciton on the main forum page. David the parts guy sell the replacement rubber blades @ £10 a pair ;) He also sells them via Ebay. Genuine Seat parts to !

Dove

Cheers for the reply Andyj.

That might be a good shout about the nozzle as I'd still have expected the fan spray even with a slightly reduced water amount. I'll check out the prices for this as well when I call the dealer.

Thanks again.

Dove

toledo399

I would also guess that it is a non-return valve but in the parts list it is described as a "pressure valve" and sits in the line between the jets. If it is faulty then it could reduce the pressure in the line to the nearside washer and result in the poor spray.

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help me on this please?

I searched on here and checked there's no screenwash coming out the bottom of the car when I pull to put it on and It sounds like the motor is still whirring. I've been under the bonnet but it looks (to me!) to be quite a big job to get access to the tube. Is there anything else I should be checking before I need to visit the garage!?

BTW, just replaced my wipers as well.......went in to halfords to get the replacement rubber for the rear and I noticed they could specially order the Bosch front ones. Went over to the parts desk to get a price.........wait for it....................£95.00 :-o Needless to say I didn't bother!

Cheers!

Where are you located...'cos if you're "OOP NORTH" like me, then my local Andrew Page motor factors initially quoted me £43+vat, but managed to do me a "price-fix" of £26+vat (just over £31) for Bosch blades, just last week !!!!

Dove

Thanks again for your replys.

I'll probably look at replacing the valve and nozzle to be honest as I'm sure our electrical tape repair on the valve won't hold up too long!! It should see me to payday at least tho!

Thanks for the info Altea Phil, I'm based up in Scotland. My local dealers wanted £46 for the front wipers but got them from ebay for £33 so was more than happy with that!! Don't know what planet Halfords are on tho charging £95 for same thing, I'd want them gold plated for that price :D

Cheers

Dove

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members