Windows 11 22H2 Upgrade on unsupported 64bit hardware - link

Tell

Staff member
It's that time again with Windows 11 unsupported hardware. The annual release is out 22H2 so to do it you have to do the workaround. This changed from the one I put up last year, although there are others which got you from Windows 10 to Windows 11.

Last years link:

New Method for 22H2

This time the one that works if your hardware ticks all the boxes for memory etc but not TPM etc is this:

Notes on Windows 11 Update 22H2 Sept 2022 for Unsupported Machines

1. For work around fix for unsupported hardware

Used the site:

for the zip file MediaCreationTool.bat-main.zip

Code and download ZIP

Open using Windows Explore zip viewer rather than 7ZIP

eg. Open with Windows Explorer, go to bypass 11 directory

Click on "Skip_TPM_Check_on_Dynamic_Update.cmd" to run it... didn't need Admin priv to run since set up as that in my case, have admin writes. This makes a change to the registry so that the ISO when run believes you have a compatible machine.

2. Now run the ISO file for Windows 11

For English International it's

Win11_22H2_EnglishInternational_x64.iso

That comes from

Make sure you select correct language as existing Windows if not it won't give you the option to retain the apps and files.... that is greyed out and you get a clean install.

There are Youtube videos

People on last years method found this was working and elsewhere. An alternative method is to fiddle with a DLL, opted for this method. The AveYo method above from Github does a RegEdit other GitHub scripts do that... you see alternatives in the comments. The DLL method you fiddle with the ISO by manually taking out the contents of the DLL and re saving with nothing in the file. Said to work. Other helpful souls provide a DLL to substitute. Another method to look at if the RegEdit methods dont work. Mentioned in the AveYo comments and found with Google.

All good for me we the AveYo method for me.

----

Footnote

Some US reports, least I think they are of it failing at the last stage on Windows Server update using the ISO. I believe Microsoft have wrapped the ISO in the Windows Server update app being lazy and the US English version stumbles on this. Completely fine on the English International ISO.

The Microsoft link above also gives the download for the normal update if your hardware is compliant e.g. the Windows Installation Assistant. You might have to run the check of whether your hardware is compliant before. It leaves a marker. One laptop I upgraded last year from Windows 10 to 11 didn't need that check this year since I ran it last year. The one shipped with Windows 11 did before it would do the normal update that will be because it needed the check run. Leave a RegEdit marker. The same markers that the workaround tools adjust.

I like to get all the hardware updated and running on the same Windows OS rather than waiting for Microsoft to offer the update if the machine is compliant. For compliant hardware it's likely to be fine. For non compliant hardware it's likely to be an annual task now to find a suitable workaround. Waste not want that and all that for that hardware that's still got life in it and you don't want to change it.

Running a network you might have fun getting network discovery to work. Vagaries of Microsoft login v Local Account login. Washing the process thru backwards and forwards.

If using a Samba Server on the network using SMB1.0 with commands to it you might have to turn Windows Feature SMB1.0 back on else it messes up Network Discovery. That gets turned off in the upgrade as they move away from SMB1.0. The bug bear for me this time round. Back to my crib sheet notes I keep. FTP I had put in to it then turned off normal network discovery. Back in to Windows Features SMB1.0 and a reboot fixed that.

Well these are the user introduced ones rather than the sit back and wait for the update invite.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
We are onto 23H2 on unsupported 64 bit hardware. Same solution as last year works here. First test the ISO after downloading your language region. If it does not moan go ahead with the install keep data and apps.

Last years Github project method shown above under 1. above holds between years. It's a toggle script. If left as is last year, just install the ISO. If it moans follow the Github project as above with this year's ISO. It's quite easy. I believe some weird processors aren't supported now on unsupported hardware but an i3 or i5 etc is. Another two years updates. We'll have to see whether next year's Windows 12 runs on unsupported hardware.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.