Windscreen 'film'

Nov 4, 2022
Hi
Had my Formentor for 1 year now and think its great, however, this year - and just in the last few months - noticed im getting a 'film' appearing on the inside of the windscreen that you have to clean every few days or so. I mentioned this when the car was in for its first oil change and was told its a known issue and something to do with the fluid used in the A/C system?
anyone else have this issue and are there any known fixes (other than a constant supply of clean cloths !)

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Hmm, not sure that's the case, unless your a/c system is leaking :unsure:
AFAIK, it is plasticisers leaching out of all the plastic moldings like your dash, door cards, etc. You notice it more with the low sun at this time of year.
It's a bit of a pain to remove from the screen too. A lot of commercial glass cleaners don't seem to touch it.

Nov 4, 2022
Hmm, not sure that's the case, unless your a/c system is leaking :unsure:
AFAIK, it is plasticisers leaching out of all the plastic moldings like your dash, door cards, etc. You notice it more with the low sun at this time of year.
It's a bit of a pain to remove from the screen too. A lot of commercial glass cleaners don't seem to touch it.
thanks for the feedback - hadnt thought about the leaching aspect.
i was just surprised as it has only started in the last couple of months and wasnt the case at this time last year

Fencer60

Jun 5, 2022
Meon Valley, Hampshire, UK.
t's a bit of a pain to remove from the screen too

Washing up bowl, two microfibre cloths. Three dessert spoons of white vinegar, one of washing-up liquid, about an inch of really hot water in the bowl.

On with one cloth, wrung out as much as possible, buffed with the dry cloth. Better than anything you can buy off the shelf. Once you've done the inside, also works really well on the outside windows.

This tip comes courtesy of a vaper whose GTC used to film up terribly because of the almost non-existent air-con. :)

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
exactly as seriously? says, I tried to clean the inside of the windscreen a couple of months ago and it was quite impossible no matter what I used and I used everything. Once I was wipping the cleaner or the plain water it would come up foggy and kind of dirty, greasy something like spreading the dirt the moisture and not cleaning it. That was so weird!
I kept cleaning and still the same thing so I quit and let it be. Don't have any issues seeing outside but the glass surely does not want to get cleaned, I really don't know what's happening, it seems the glass is possessed.

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
Must admit I've been noticing this "Film" on the inside as well lately (My car is three months old) but tbh I've just put it down to poor de-misting 😬 looking like I may be wrong, tbf I haven't tried wiping it as it's never been that bad, but now with the sun getting lower in the sky it's getting more noticeable.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Washing up bowl, two microfibre cloths. Three dessert spoons of white vinegar, one of washing-up liquid, about an inch of really hot water in the bowl.

On with one cloth, wrung out as much as possible, buffed with the dry cloth. Better than anything you can buy off the shelf. Once you've done the inside, also works really well on the outside windows.

This tip comes courtesy of a vaper whose GTC used to film up terribly because of the almost non-existent air-con. :)
Thanks for the tip.
Will give it a go (y)

Reactions: Doogle
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.