Advice before I purchase new

DirtyDog

Mar 18, 2024
Hi all,
New to the forum and wanting your advice before I commit to a new car.
I have been reading through the forum chats for a few weeks now to learn more about the car.
I currently drive a Skoda Octavia VRS estate and have test driven a few SUV's and short listed to the Kia sportage GT-Line S and tomorrow I test drive the following -
Formentor1.4 12.8kWh VZ2 DSG Euro 6 245ps plug in hybrid

There are a few cracking deals around at the moment for Cupra Formentors purchased/registered before the end of march but I am still a little concerned about the reliability scores the formentors get when you search online- most reviews are from launch and the car score quite low at around 80% on Whatcar surveys.

Being a active Skoda forum member and hopefullt a Formentor member going forward, I though I would ask you all your feelings and experience with reliability issues -

Its seems mostly electrical - entertainment software bugs etc are the sticky points.

I plan to purchase this week so any feedback would be greatly received.

DirtyDog

Spivvy

Nov 21, 2021
UK
Can't comment on this model
Infotainment is a bit hit and miss some have no problems,some minor some major ,but it software issues mainly

On the Kia it's can also be a lottery ,we had 2 delivered at work same day one no issues the other crank issues with engine and other problems

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: DirtyDog

sam290989

Nov 18, 2022
Got a vz1 245 plug in (basically same as one you are looking at minus a couple of bells and whistles) for almost a year now and had no probs whatsoever with mine. Love the fact you can drive it sensibly and it's nice and comfy then stick it in cupra mode and act like a hooligan (and beat most other cars off the lights). I plug mine in every night at home on a cheap octopus tariff and it costs me about a quid to charge it and get 30 miles of ev only power, so for a daily commute, little petrol is used. I'd thoroughly recommend!

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
I really like my VZ2 245 Hybrid, it's one of the few cars where I'd happily have exactly the same again (not just the car, the trim level, the engine, etc.).

• The gadgets, I do like a bit of tech - ACC with speed limit awareness, traffic stop / start is a game changer for me.
  • EV range is fine for me to get to and from work without firing up the engine.
  • Overall economy is good (I get 60mpg but it depands how often you plug in and use EV only).
  • Performance is more than enough for my daily car.
  • Gearbox is very smooth (better than the DSG in a 1.5 petrol I had as a courtesy car, I assume the electric motor integrated in the gearbox smooths out the changes). Rarely use the paddles.

Dislikes (pretty much the one poor thing is the rear brakes), the rest are minor really:
  • Rear discs and pads just replaced under warranty at 2 years old (with the regen they don't get enough use - should be drum brakes like the Born, make sure you used Low regen so they get some use, or use the handbrake at low speeds when safe to so, or knock into neutral and use the brakes to slow or stop, not regen).
  • Had a clicking from the SOS system when (I think) it lost phone signal) fixed with a software patch, lastest versions, 1940 and 1969 seem fine but it's a pain when it needs an update at the dealer.
  • Seats aren't that comfy for long trips - too hard.
  • SatNav's OK but I use Waze via CarPlay for better traffic / rerouting.
  • The infamous unlit heating controls, penny pinching at it's best.
ETA (but not really related to the Formentor, more Cupra related issues):
  • Roadside support ends after 2 years, and they don't even tell you! WTF? Every other new car I've bought it's aligned with the warranty period. Getting a free 12 months roadside with a service didn't extend it to 3 years either, it ran concurrently - what is the use of that?
  • The warranty term needs translation - its a 3 year 60,000 mile warranty but if you do over 60,000 miles by the end of year 2 you don't get a third year.

Last edited:

Cupra306Form

Sep 24, 2023
I also came from a Skoda vRS and was on the forum Briskoda. Hi!. 4WD makes the Formentor much quicker off the mark, no real issues but screen throws up "front assist limited availability" far too frequently. Boot space much smaller than the hatchback Octavia. Heated stearing wheel great in winter. Auto box is great. Skoda was chipped to 300 - could do with this notching up, but still paying for it for about next 12 months.

More tech on the Cupra, but then Skoda was a MY2019 against a MY2023 Cupra, so who knows. You had to be careful to launch the vRS due to wheelspin / wheelhop, no skill required in a Formentor and the 0-60 is rapid.

Reactions: DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Mar 18, 2024
Briskoda is a really good forum, I to was a member.
This group looks relly good as well from what I have read so far.

I did get it in the end - sorry not had time to share pics etc.

Reactions: Cupra306Form
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members