Winter Warm Up

Mike555

Aug 7, 2011
Hi

I have an Altea XL 1.6SE DSG and have noticed in these cold mornings that the car never seems to warm up if left running on the drive and needs around 1.5 to 2 miles driving before warm air comes out of the heater.

1: Is the an add on heater that can be fitted so as to be able to de-ice the car before driving off in the mornings?

2: Could anyone recomend a 12v plug in heater I could buy?

In the mean time I have been using a 1Kw fan heater, I run a cable from the house to the car and turn it on 10 minutes before I need to leave, I have it placed on the rear seat. Works well. :)

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
You need to man up Mike :D

I can't really add much i'm afraid, other than to say, I wouldn't do the idle on drive thing, not really that good for a car, best to drive off straight away.

My mates Volvo (also a diesel) warms up noticeably quicker than mine, might be something to do with his car being from a Swedish manufacturer and ours from a Spanish one...

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
Does anyone ever block up part of the grill? i'm tempted to put a sheet of rubber in the top one? anyone think that'll be too much? :)

Johnersh

Apr 13, 2011
Hi

I have an Altea XL 1.6SE DSG and have noticed in these cold mornings that the car never seems to warm up if left running on the drive and needs around 1.5 to 2 miles driving before warm air comes out of the heater.

Not noticed a major issue, but perhaps it's warmer near me. Obviously, I just use the AC to clear the windscreen - don't much care so long as it clears.

My Audi didn't fire out any air at all until the engine was warm/lubricated enough for the heater to work effectively (unlike some cars that just blast a stream of cold air until this happens). The Altea prolly does the same, I guess....

Mike555

Aug 7, 2011
Hi

I used to block up about 1/2 of the grill of my MK1/Mk3 Ford Cortina's :) This worked well.

But I asume the Altea radiator only starts cooling once the engine is at full temp.

PDaddy

Aug 22, 2004
OP you could try getting a remote starter added to your car alarm, or just get a car alarm with one, that way you could have the heater running for a few mins before you get in.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
The way they do it in foreign countries is a water heater and pump that warms the coolant up before you get in the car. It gets the car AND the engine warm. I'm not sure if an aftermarket version can be purchased and fitted?

Mike555

Aug 7, 2011
Auxiliary heater

Does anyone know if an Altea can be ordered with an auxiliary heater and or dealer fit one?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.