Wiper issue

Howrare

Nov 17, 2011
Obergurgl, Tirol, Austria
Hello all,

Wonder if you can throw some light on this annoying little issue? I've had a bloody good search of the FAQ section and came up with nowt.

Wipers work fine in general. Clear fine, and speed is as it should be. BUT, from the parked position they go down by about an inch first, wallop the windscreen seal, then go back up to clear the screen. The initial sweep is the worst, but they do smack the seal on every pass. I have thought about just popping the arms off found lots of tips on doing this) and moving them up a spline or two.

With all the rain of late its starting to :censored: me off. Anyone else got an answer?

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
It sounds like the crank fitted to the motor has moved position slightly (probably wipers frozen to the screen at sometime?) or a replacement rack or motor wrongly refitted.

You need to take the wipers off, scuttle cover off and observe the motor / crank position, loosen the crank nut on the motor and reposition the crank.

These things will mangle your fingers, only ever adjust anything with the ignition keys in your pocket NOT in the ignition!

Howrare

Nov 17, 2011
Obergurgl, Tirol, Austria
I like this car. Striped the entire wiper assy out today. My splines have seen better days, thats for sure, but it all looked pretty solid. Motor had certainly been replaced at some point as the electrical connector had been forced and damaged. All came out very easily though, and the guide to removing the wiper arms I found on here was very helpful. So did a bit of fiddling about once everything was out, popped it all back, turned around to see one of the drain covers that should go under the scuttle was sitting on the floor behind me, swore a lot, took it all apart again, replaced the drain/cover and put it back together for one final time. The wipers still give the slightest dip downwards when first activated, but much much better, and so much quieter. Should the linkages ever go in the future I'd have no worries about fitting a new set. That's coming from a relative retard with a spanner. All in all. Result.

Thanks for the help.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.