Wiper motor reset after changing

ash_89

Mar 16, 2013
Bedfordshire
I replaced my passenger side wiper linkage yesterday but still using my original motor
all went good apart from the wipers no resting and staying at the sides they always revert back to service mode
i dont get how this has happened when ive used my original motor surely that would mean i dont have to code it ?
any help or past experience would be appreciated

ash

eande2

Sep 28, 2009
Did you manage to get this sorted? Having the same issue with mine after finally getting both sides working again.

ash_89

Mar 16, 2013
Bedfordshire
Not yet mate i asked a few people including a audi tech and they said it might need resting the motor via vagcom.
ive had another quick look at the arm itself and i think it needs adjustment by moving the thread over towards the edge of the windscreen (side)pillar

basically im guessing the bolt on the arm needs loosening off and the arm moving over then the wiper will reach the side pillar properly and not go back to the bottom

Seatdownhere

Apr 6, 2018
How long did yours take to learn the position?
My situation is:
Replaced linkage connected to old motor, this worked but the wiper arm was banging against the pillar
Swapped in the new motor (in case something wrong with old one). Then passenger side wiper wouldn't move, just a clicking sound and driver side going to service position (at the bottom) for OFF, and wiping erratically (half way up, then slowly upwards, stopping at the pillar).
Put old motor back in, same behaviour with the wipers (passenger not working)
Disconnected battery and connected - both motors working correctly (could see top of linkage plate rotating correctly)
Put arms back on.. and passenger side stops working again??!!!

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
Take the nut off that connects the linkage to the motor then plug the motor back into the car and run the wipers once. That will set the motor back up for home position then reattach the linkage making sure its set to home position with the arrow marker then reinstall the motor. Then put the wiper arm back on in the home position. Job done.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Seatdownhere

Apr 6, 2018
Thanks for this. We ended up figuring this out in just the way you described. The only difference was that we didn't see an arrow marker on the motor spline or linkage to match them up. The linkage was rotated into the "up"/"park" position, the grooves on the arm resting plate were made sure they were horizontal, and then it was connected to the motor.

Seatdownhere

Apr 6, 2018
Do you mean this (circled red) ? As in rotate the linkage round in that direction and so it sits against the metal "stop" (circled blue)?
IMG_20200701_133855~2.jpg

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
Yer that's the one but for me it was at the stop at the back. It's front of you have it set in service position. It's back if in standard position.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Aug 24, 2021
Hey! First of all, sorry for my bad English. I have a question, that connects to the red circle with the arrow. If the linkage sits on the blue circle means it's on service position, or it's on standard/parking position?
Do you mean this (circled red) ? As in rotate the linkage round in that direction and so it sits against the metal "stop" (circled blue)? View attachment 16083

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.