Wits end with alarm randomly going off

Feb 17, 2023
Hi folks,

Hoping for some suggestions for sorting this alarm issue. Tl;dr: My 2019 Ibiza FR's alarm keeps randomly going off. And when I mean randomly, I mean randomly. There's no pattern.
  • Bought the car from a dealership in January
  • About a week into owning the car, the alarm started to randomly go off. The siren would only sound for 2-3 seconds or so, then cut out. The lights continued to flash.
  • Reported it to the dealership after it became clear it wasn't going to stop
  • Dealership sent out a mobile auto electrician to check fault codes. Fault codes came back relating to "battery" for the alarm going off. Auto electrician suggested that the backup battery in the alarm was low charge and needed miles put on the car to charge it up. By this point, I had already done 550 miles.
  • Dealership booked the car in to replace the alarm entirely on Feb 10th
  • Alarm went off Feb 11th and again Feb 15th
  • Alarm went off 03:30 today (Feb 17th) and no amount of unlocking and locking the car again would stop it. Every time I unlocked the car, it stopped, and the moment I locked the car again it started. Couldn't leave the car unlocked because it just auto locked seconds later and started the alarm again. It got to the point where I had to drive the car around for 20-30 minutes, come back home and finally it stopped.
  • Contacted dealership again. They have done as much as they can do, and now they're referring it to my local SEAT garage. Unfortunately, I don't get that appointment until March 9th. I can't have another 03:30 alarm rave requiring me to go take the car for a drive.
What I've tried:
  • I've checked all the doors, boot, and bonnet.
  • All the lights are going off when closing the car. Boot light isn't on, glovebox light isn't on, etc.
  • I've turned the headlights from "auto" to "off"
  • I've closed all the vents in the car and checked all the windows
  • I've double clicked the lock button on the key to disable the interior sensors
  • I had a hard wired dashcam; I've removed it entirely and replaced the piggy back fuse with a brand new one
  • I've measured the voltage of the battery after the car has been idle for 8 hours: 12.44v
  • I've checked the amperage of the battery to check for a parasitic draw. Amps drop to 0.00-0.02
I don't have access to any diagnostic kit or VCDS -- not for a lack of trying. I phoned around to see if somebody would check with VCDS, but asking £100 just to check...

What else can I do or try? Or how can I disable the alarm entirely, because at this point I wouldn't rule that out as a temporary fix until SEAT can see it.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Well one way to stop it will be to unplug or even remove the siren-battery assembly entirely - I've not looked on this car, but it should be possible to reach it if you remove the plastic cover behind the bonnet/in front of the windscreen, you might need to remove the wiper arms to do that - but it seems that you feel to need to stop this now, until it has been resolved.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise