Won't start, and strange noise, EEEEK!!!

Tangerine_Dream

Mar 28, 2009
Swindon
Hey guys, i really hope someone may be able to shed some light...

Went out to start the car, (2.0l 16v ABF) and, well, it won't!

Turns over fine, but wont spring to life. And there is now also a strange vibrating/humming sound coming from what i think is the idle control valve? I'ts under the black plastic cover on the front edge of the inlet manifold, with a black pipe going to the airbox. Car was working fine this afternoon, stopped and started it several times no problem, but now its having none of it.

Only thing i did that was out of the ordinary today was have it sat idling for a long time, over an hour, while i was changing the front speakers. Could this have anything to do with it, especially as the ICV (i think) is now making a wierd noise??

If anyone has any suggestions i am all ears! Many thanks guys,

P.S. Just been having a bit of a poke and a fiddle, and it doesnt seem to be the ICV that is making the humming/vibrating noise, as it is still there if i disconnect the valve. I'm even more stumped now than i was earlier :(

Rob.

Last edited:

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
if the isv is humming its working.

my money is split between fuel pump relay or a coil pack. my first call would try and establish if the fuel pump is priming and running when you put the ignition on. if your sure youve got fuel its got a good chance of a coil pack fault

Tangerine_Dream

Mar 28, 2009
Swindon
Thankyou for your reply!

The isv is humming, so it is working ok.

The fuel pump sounds like its priming ok too. The vibrating/humming sound that i get only happens briefly when i first put the ignition on, then it stops. When i try and start the car it then occurs again, and continues up untill i stop turning it over, then it stops too. It sounds as if a rotating part of a pump it sticking maybe, and causing the motor in the pump to sort of vibrate or throw a fit or something, but its coming from the engine bay, not the rear of the car. Most odd!

Is there a fuel pump in the engine bay?

Rob.

Kai_1600

Shallow
Dec 10, 2005
Manchester
the fuel pump is on the passenger side under the back seats if i recall correctly...didnt someone have theirs out recently?

Tangerine_Dream

Mar 28, 2009
Swindon
The noise was something to do with the fuel return hose/ pressure regulator. took them both off and had a poke around, made sure there was fuel getting up there, and put them back on. The noise has now stopped, but still won't start.

I don't think there is any spark, so im now thinking maybe coil pack? Or does the standard immobiliser stop it sparking, maybe that could be at fault?

Rob.

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
coil pack mate, sounds just like what i had, it's a very quick easy fix mate, and is relatively cheap!

Tangerine_Dream

Mar 28, 2009
Swindon
aye, certainly was. £31 was all it took!

still not sure what was causing to fuel pipe to twitch and make the noise i heard whenever the fuel pump was working, but its gone now!

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
i think that noise was the fuel being pumped (but as there was no spark from the ignition) it just went a little mad lol

but it works now, so it's all good :)

Juclassic

Thank god for Pedro!
Oct 18, 2005
Swindon, soon to be Oxford-ish
aye, certainly was. £31 was all it took!

still not sure what was causing to fuel pipe to twitch and make the noise i heard whenever the fuel pump was working, but its gone now!

lucky git!

years back, when i was stuck in the middle of nowhere, i got absolutely raped by the rac for a new one. gutted.

£31 makes me so sick i wont even say how much i paid for it.

makes me sick! if i could've got a taxi to get one and sorted it myself i would've!

Kai_1600

Shallow
Dec 10, 2005
Manchester
lucky git!

years back, when i was stuck in the middle of nowhere, i got absolutely raped by the rac for a new one. gutted.

£31 makes me so sick i wont even say how much i paid for it.

makes me sick! if i could've got a taxi to get one and sorted it myself i would've!

amen to that! The AA shafted me properly, justr shy of a £100

Tangerine_Dream

Mar 28, 2009
Swindon
Aaaah, but did you guys get oem parts?

I didnt, Euro car parts special!

Rob.

P.s. Juclassic, you still in swindon or have you managed to escape yet?

Last edited:

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
you didn't get OEM? i got OEM from gsf for £32 (i do have a mate who works there so i did get discount, but surely it won't be too much more? maybe £40?)

Tangerine_Dream

Mar 28, 2009
Swindon
if i remember rightly the oem one was either around the 50 or 60 notes make, 58 rings a bell.

But they didnt have an oem one in stockl, only the cheap replacement one, same as euro car parts, but as my mate was nearer euro at the time, i got him to go there to get it for me.

Rob.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise