Worried about DSG

bickers70

Feb 18, 2009
Hi All,

I've ordered a new Cupra - due in October.

I can't believe I've ordered a car without test driving it first but I was just so keen to get the new Cupra when it came out.

Having now read loads of reviews, a lot of them seem to be saying the same thing i.e. the DSG system isn't very good when pushed and has a tendancy to drop down a gear unexpectedly.

Does anyone have any experience of this system and am I just worrying needlessly?

EdHorny

Loves his Boc.
Oct 12, 2008
Burntwood
It'll be different to start with, a test drive is a short time to get used to things like a gear box etc... so when people moan and groan it's because they haven't had chance to adapt. I'm used to a manual, it's all I've ever driven, I'm sure after a months driving u'll be used to how the car works, it automatically kicks down to get a good gear to go with. That again is something u'll get used to, it should come to the point where you expect it and are ready for it.

Alot of people who have re viewed the car have probably most likely gone to the test drive ready to compare to the smelly frog clio cup. Anything different will be scrutinised, the test driver hasn't got to grips with the gear box and will no doubt slate it.

As far as I can see, this car will be a joy to drive, you will have all your controls on or around the steering wheel, meaning you can concentrate on the driving and not where and which gear you're in. Well that's my view at the moment anyway.

I could be wrong but I could be right. It's all opinions mate and opinions can change.

ED

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
When I test drove the MK6 Golf GTi I asked the "professional driver" that was looking after us what he thought of the DSG vs the manual and he said he'd prefer the DSG on the road and would only have the manual if doing a lot of track days etc

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
One of the magazine reviews I read even admitted that they left it in Sport mode and then tried to drive it hard. Then because the gearbox didn't change when they would of liked decided it was rubbish....erm thats what the paddles are for!

The idea of the paddles are to manually select the gears and thus you decide what gear and when.

Another magazine review (think it was CAR) drove it on a track and used the paddles manually and said it was fantastic to drive and a lot of fun blipping up and down the gearbox.

bickers70

Feb 18, 2009
Cheers all, I guess time will tell.

Ian, I'd be really interested to hear what you think. I've been driving for 21 years and never driven an auto!!

Nov 6, 2007
Newark
We jsut had our 1.6 DSG come in and it drives lovely, very quick even for the 1.6 and it changes gears very quickly, I wouldn;t be worried one bit !

cap'n

Hi folks,

First post here and considering the Boc concerned about the DSG, less so after reading the thread but still got some questions... With the DSG set to manual does it behave like a manual or will the computer step in if it thinks the gearbox is about to drop out the bottom? And can the computer be chipped to adjust the gear change behaviour, improve economy/performance e.t.c. or have Seat locked it down?

nvidia

2004 Seat Ibiza FR TDi
May 16, 2009
Reading
heard this is pretty gd, smooth gear change also really quick. best auto available imo... drove civic i-shift, the shifting so awfully slow

Tigrian

Everyone raved about the DSG when it first hit the Audi's and people still give it a good rep (mostly - some people who have tuned the torque curve through the roof on larger powerplants, well outside design specs, have complained of realiability issues - now there's a surprise!).

To be honest if you're used to manuals getting used to the kick down on an automatic can be strange at first. Worth doing mind. Sitting in traffic with one go and one stop peddle, no clutch or stick to worry about is a wonderful thing.

Wanted the other half to get one but she's kind of attached to manuals at the mo. Kind of jealous really.... wanted a DSG!

Nov 6, 2007
Newark
I can't see how people can say it no good for the car ect ect when the car isn't even here yet and no one has driven it yet!

140SPORT

Aug 22, 2007
If you have never driven a DSG it is a brave move,I had a Leon DSG for 2 years and it had some good and bad points.
You can not hold the car in a gear of your choice in manual mode as when the revs get high it just changes up,You might not want to go up as you might be cornering at the time and want to stay in that gear.
Slight delay taking up drive when setting off.Wants to change down too soon when there was no need to as the car had plenty of torque and could of kept in the higher gear.

Your 7 speed is 2 dry clutches that will not take any extra torque from chipping,6 speed DSG is 2 wet clutches that will take more Torque from chipping.

After having it 2 years i have gone back to manual 6 speed as i felt that you are left feeling the car is driving you and you are not able to do what you want when you want,Auto is good in traffic but apart from that part i like the maual box,cheaper to buy,better mpg,less to go wrong.

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
Hi. I will have my fr dsg in 10 days. The main reason i chose this car was the DSG. I have a passat dsg and it is perfect. It is the fastest gearbox in the world, even faster that an f1 gearbox (no kiding, search google for shift times).
You should not worry about it. Also i have driven a cupra dsg on track an it was perfect. Much faster than the Mk4 with Revo!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.