WTF is going on with my car...

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
just watch tho , the clips and seals are all different diameters etc , so is a bit of a kerfudle to get the right one where they should
I'd emphasise that point too. The clips come in a variety of sizes - some only a millimetre or so different in size, but it's important to get the right ones in the right places otherwise the joints won't hold properly.

Wheely

Nov 19, 2003
The Sou' West
Visit site
Well how do you explain this ???

Like Muddy, my fuel consumption dropped by 4 - 6 mpg around the same time. I havent heard any hissing/air-leaks though.

But last Friday the mpg went back to normal all day long. Granny commute I got 44 - 48mpg and all was totally normal. Weekend wasnt quite as bad, but come monday its back to down again ?!?!?!!?

Could this be an indication/pointer to something ?????? Weather was mild on Friday, but it has been warmer since, so it aint that !

Would love to get it sorted !!!

golisago

Try this one , disconnect one of the battery terminals and leaving it off for 20mins , this will re-set the ecu and make it re-learn again .

golisago

If its the weather you should have bad mileage today also!

Have you tried changing either the iat / map sensor or the coolant temp sensor.

Last edited by a moderator:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I've logged the reported coolant and fuel temps, they seem fine.
Haven't changed MAP sensor, although it *appears* to be giving sensible readings. At least is was while I was logging.

Is the inlet air temp sensor integrated with the MAP sensor ?

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
I've been doing some readings via vagcom today since the new cable finally arrived,,, [6 months from hong kong!!! :-o ]

I've seen that there's quite a difference between specified and actual map readings at idle for example, the specified is ~990 while the actual is 938,,, I guess this is normal since today it was kind of cloudy so low pressure,,, but when the turbo spools up there are sometimes differencies of 0.2+ bar which is kind of a lot! this is not only during transients, since there are some quite relevant differencies even when I have the pedal pressed stationary on a flat road,,, could this be a problem for my car's long time, never solved limp mode problems?

[muddy don't want to hijack your thread but as we were talking map sensors,,,]

golisago

Don't forget that when the warmer weather returns the ecu will pull timing some what because of the air being less dense , and advance the timing if the air is colder than temp's in which the map/chip was developed/set at......to some degree.

This is why (we all) to what ever degree tend to smoke more in the summer season than in the winter when the air is much denser and the amount of fuel set by the fuel maps/ecu will be burnt more completely.

Basics of a diesel setup and closed loop 101......lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members