Yet another MPG thread

Modelmakerman

Mk4 Ibiza FR TDi
Apr 24, 2010
Bristol, UK
www.modelmakerman.com
Ok ok sorry I know its covered over and over and yes I have searched but I want opinions about my specific situation:

When I bought my Ibiza FR PD130 in the summer I was getting mid to high 50s mpg on my daily commute (all country lanes) now Im getting mid 40s mpg on the same trip with the same driving style. I cant get it any higher no matter how I drive.

I know the MPG drops in the winter due to the engines taking longer to warm up and larger drain on battery meaning the alternator is running more etc. but is -20+mpg right?! :confused:

Ive checked the rear brakes/handbrake isnt dragging (will also be fitting Galaxy springs this weekend to make sure)
Ive sprayed a load of Ether through the MAF to try and clean it
Ive used dielectric grease on the MAF connector
I only use premium fuels, last tank was Shell V-power, this tank is Esso with double shot of Millers.
Going to run VCDS in a mo but I ran it a couple of weeks ago and all was fine

Anything else I can check or is it new MAF time? Or am I just being a noob and loosing more than 20mpg during winter is normal?! :-o

bubbles1

Nurburgring Lover
Dec 28, 2008
Llandudno
I loose about 10 mpg in winter in my pd 130. This is normal i believe. Cold dense air = more drag.

20 mpg loss seems a bit high though. Mj may have some answers.

bubbles1

Nurburgring Lover
Dec 28, 2008
Llandudno
You say mid 50's in summer now mid 40's that's 10 mpg loss when i went to school which is what i get and is perfectly normal.

I fitted a new MAF today BTW.

Modelmakerman

Mk4 Ibiza FR TDi
Apr 24, 2010
Bristol, UK
www.modelmakerman.com
Mid to high 50s in the summer (usually about 58ish) only got mid if I booted it but could get 60mpg if I grannied it, its about 42-45mpg right now so about 15ish mpg down.

Where did you get the MAF from and how much? My car has 120k on it and I have no idea if the MAF has ever been changed so might just do it for peace of mind.

bubbles1

Nurburgring Lover
Dec 28, 2008
Llandudno
MAF from Vw dealer genuine bosh item cost £84.04p but on px of old one. Went home changed it went for test drive and popped old one back to dealer bingo!

My pd 130 (205 bhp) has 108k on clock so changed it for the hell of it as they don't last forever, my car was running well it now runs even better so well worth a change at your mileage.
Part number is 074906461bx (pd 130 asz)

JPS3290

Dirty Diesel
Jun 6, 2003
Durham
Visit site
I always get less mpg come the colder winter months. Engine takes forever to warm up. Some days the water temp only gets half way to the 90 mark on the more icey/snowy days, but I do live in the middle of no where and have seen snow once already this year!

Rlrseat

Does the Maf make that much of a difference iv got 64000 on the clock and my mpg has drop about 20+ mpg, iv had it mapped will this make it worse in the winter months ?? Oh and iv got winter Tyres on the front don't think this will help neither

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.